5 Delicious Ways To Spruce Up Your Hot Cocoa This Winter

5 Simple, Delicious Ways To Spruce Up Your Basic Cup Of Hot Cocoa This Winter

Deck the hallsand your hot cocoa this holiday season!

Some of my fondest memories have included hot cocoa. As soon as the temperature dropped below 70 (which is basically freezing in Florida), my little sister and I break out the saucepan and froth up some milk and cocoa. Somehow, I always manage to burn my tongue on the first sip, no matter how careful I try to be. Of course, this doesn't make the hot cocoa any less delicious.

I'm always experimenting with my hot cocoa by adding new spices and toppings. The holiday season is supposed to be a season of joy and wonder. After all, I'm a firm believer that a good chunk of that joy and wonder should be directed towards consumption of hot chocolate.

Read on to see how you can make your hot cocoa even more wonderful!

1. Experiment with peppermint hot cocoa.

white ceramic mug with chocolate and candy cane Photo by Pro Church Media on Unsplash

Try adding peppermint extract to your hot cocoa and topping it with whipped cream and crushed candy cane pieces. This combination is "mint" to be!

2. Try some extra chocolatey hot chocolate.

smoothies inside mug on white plate Photo by Klara Avsenik on Unsplash

For an extra chocolatey kick, add a few tablespoons of chocolate chips to your hot cocoa. Whisk until the chocolate is fully melted and serve. Not only will this add to the flavor of the cocoa, but it will also make your drink a little thicker and creamier since the chocolate will thicken the beverage.

3. Sip some cinnamon hot cocoa.

beige mug with hot chocolate near cinnamon sticks on surface Photo by Rachael Gorjestani on Unsplash

Adding cinnamon will give your cocoa a festive flair. Think of a chocolate gingerbread vibes. Experiment with other spices, too! A touch of chili powder along with cinnamon will give you Mexican hot chocolate flavors, whereas nutmeg will give you even more of a festive mug!

4. Go crazy with the toppings!

beige mug on gray tray Photo by Alisa Anton on Unsplash

Marshmallows and whipped cream are a good start, but trying thinking outside the box so that as soon as your lips touch your mug, you can taste joy. Try salted caramel, chocolate drizzle, toffee bits, or M&Ms. Coat the rim of your mug with melted chocolate, and roll it in your favorite candies.

5. Give hot cocoa bombs a try.

hot cocoa bombs on a flat surface

https://cutsidedown.com/warning-hot-chocolate-bombs-explosive-flavor/

These are super fun, and they've blown up this year (no pun intended). It's a hollow ball of chocolate, typically filled with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. Learn how to make your own here, or learn where to buy them here.

Happy hot cocoa-ing!