Hosting During The Holidays

Hosting During The Holidays

Why the "stress" of hosting is always worthwhile.

4
Hosting During The Holidays
Pacific Grill Tacoma

A short blurb about what I'm always reminded of during Thanksgiving:

Thanksgiving is a holiday where I'm constantly reminded to be thankful for what I already have. This year, I was scrambling around my family's house and kitchen, cleaning, organizing, cooking, and preparing for the arrival of over 20 guests for dinner and entertainment. I was attempting to set the table while stirring potatoes, and refreshing drinks while rolling up appetizers. I was stressed and overwhelmed with the tasks of hosting, as were my parents and sister. As guests arrived we struggled to keep numerous dishes of food warm, while squeezing in table space when there appeared to be none. We purchased spare chairs and moved furniture around in the effort of trying to bring everyone together for dinner.

As per usual, some family members were late, a tradition that is kind of annoying but expected. Once all of the guests arrived, we loaded up our plates with semi-warm food and gorged on turkey, ham, mac and cheese, potatoes, squash, vegetables, and many other delicious entrees. Our overly-stuffed bodies then made our way to the dessert table, filled with pies, tarts, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, and other pastries. We could have fed an army it seemed. But after everyone was fed and happy, playing card games and catching up, I realized that the "stress" of hosting is always worth the smiles.

Our guests were full and happy, relaxed and welcomed into our home. And although it may have been stressful at times, I was reminded of how much I have to be thankful for. I got to see over 20 close family members and friends only three night ago and it was a blast. We laughed, drank, and ate our hearts out. I am thankful for each and every one of them. And, I'm extremely excited to do it all over again in just a few short weeks. Our family hopes to host a Christmas party, with an ugly-sweater theme, and although hosting seems like a lot of work, I'm excited. Because hosting is always worthwhile when the holidays come around.