I’m A Junior In College, And I Still Get Homesick

This year is worse than the past few years have been.

103
Josie Murray

Since COVID started spreading like wildfire back in March, I've been living at home with my family. That meant a major change in routine and personnel change in regard to who I was seeing on a day to day basis. While this may not seem like a big deal to most people, this change can really take a toll on people who struggle with their mental health.

Mostly, I have been missing my boyfriend. We met over the summer and he goes to school at the opposite end of the state. But I've also really missed my mom. I have a lot of struggles with social anxiety and I HATE change, so moving back to college and leaving my new, comfortable pattern was a major upset.

My location, school starting, a new job, and leaving the pattern of family time and time with my boyfriend seriously flipped me on my head. This has resulted in LOTS of phone calls home and to my boyfriend, as well as more tears being shed than I would like to admit. Everything in my life changed so fast that I didn't have adequate time to adjust and take the time to make peace with the change. For people who have difficulty with their mental health, we really need more time to process major changes and it helps if it's only one or two changes at a time.

However, I do know that it will get easier over time. I may feel like my heart is heavy and I have a pit in my stomach right now, but I will adjust and learn how to be on my own again. I've been extremely lucky to have my roommates around through this, as they know exactly what I'm going through. They hug me when I'm hurting, let me cry on them until I feel better, and do everything they can to hold me accountable for my own wellbeing right now.

My boyfriend has also been a rock for me to lean on. While I can't be with him in person right now, he has no idea how much his facetime calls mean to me while I try to adjust to our new dynamic. I also have needed to phone calls to mom more than ever. We might butt heads sometimes, but she really is my saving grace.

Homesickness is temporary, but I know it hurts. Sometimes, all you need are your people (and maybe a weekend trip back home).