A Letter To The Homesick Junior In College

Everyone feels homesick at some point.

1254
Fabian Mardi

I wasn't really homesick in the typical way. I was always very excited to go away to school and once I got to Binghamton, I was generally happy. Aside from the usual getting lost in the basement in the library and figuring out the best time to go to the dining hall, I got the hang of things relatively quickly. Of course, I was nervous that first night in my dorm after my parents drove back home, but I was so excited for what college had in store that my excitement overwhelmed my fear of the unknown. I spoke to my parents a few times a week and they made sure to text me pictures of the family cat in my room. I had friends that were homesick and I understood why, but I just didn't feel that way after being so eager to leave high school.

Fast forward a few years and I was able to understand the feeling of homesickness a little more. As a junior, my classes are harder and I have more on my plate. On top of school, I also now need to fully take care of myself. Living off campus, I need to make my own meals and go grocery shopping. I can't just run off to the dining hall. Things are a little harder than they used to be. And sometimes, I just wish I could be taken care of like I was in high school. Now, don't get me wrong, I would never wish that I was back in high school. But, in retrospect, I had it really easy living at home.

When I went home after one of my hardest semesters, I wondered what it would be like if I lived at home and commuted. I wondered what it would be like to come home after a day of classes to a home cooked meal and do homework at the dining room table, just like I did back in high school. Things would definitely be easier. But the more I thought about it, the less it appealed to me. While commuting works well for some people, I always knew it wouldn't work for me. I craved the experience of living in a dorm and rolling out of bed twenty minutes before class. I wanted to eat mediocre dining hall food and hang out with friends whenever I wanted to. If I commuted, I wouldn't be able to do those things. When I think back to all the amazing experiences I've had in the almost three years at college, I wouldn't give it up for things just being easier.

If you are homesick, realize that you're not alone. It doesn't matter if you're a freshman or a junior (or even a senior). Everyone feels homesick at some point. 99.5% of the time it goes away when you're hanging out with your friends or doing something that makes you happy. Let yourself feel homesick, but don't hold yourself back from new friends and experiences. Accept that you feel homesick and keep on moving.