I'm Always Homesick, But It's Not Always Of The Same Place

Home, home, home, wherever you are.

39

San Francisco. Mexico City. Pomona. Toluca. Phoenix.

Repeat.

I'm constantly homesick.

However, each time it's a different place. It's of different people. It's of different memories.

I have been fortunate to create great memories with even greater people in these places.

These places have watched me grow and with my time in them have helped shape me into the person I am now.

There's this quote by Azar Nafisi that says, "You get a strange feeling when you leave a place. like you'll not only miss the people you love, but you miss the person you are at this time and place because you'll never be this way ever again."

I always stop and reflect on that quote when I'm about to leave a place again.

San Francisco, I have been there three times and will never be able to fall out of love with it.

Mexico City has given me some of the best adventures and has helped me appreciate the Chilango culture a bit more than most people.

Pomona, I miss you the most. You helped me the most to become the person I am today. You roughed me up and taught me to love everything and everyone around me. For reminding me that my biggest support group will always be back home. I thank you for all you have done for me and for allowing me to call you home.

Toluca, I will always be proud of you. You have taught me to appreciate my family and the little pueblo where my dad is from. You also saw a terrified teenage girl drive for the first time. Thank you for treating me so amazing.

Phoenix, you're my new home. Even though I'm away from you for only a small amount of time at times, I miss the person I am when I'm in you. I miss being independent and actually being a GROWN UP. You're helping me mature and helping me achieve my dreams.

While I might miss all of you at different parts in my life, even different parts of my week because I'm always missing one of you, you have all shaped me into who I am today and I'm forever proud of that.