Homesick

Homesick

Sometimes a hug from mom is all you really want...

238
Homesick
Kelsey Trimble
"Maybe home is nothing but two arms holding you tight, whether you are at your best or your worst."

I never thought it was an actual thing, being homesick. I thought it was what people said when they were not fans of the whole college thing and that there was no way being missing your home could really be a thing. After finishing two years of college, I had yet to to experience this feeling I had heard so much about. While I missed home at times, and there were times I wanted my mom, the feelings never made me so upset that they affected me. This year I was confronted by the feelings I doubted really existed, and in full force.

I wanted my mom. I wanted my dad and my brothers. I wanted my I wanted my dog. I really just wanted everything that was back at home. I wanted that feeling you get when you walk into your home. I wanted to the smells of my house. I wanted so much but was unable to explain to others why I had so much at school, but felt as though I had nothing.

I am blessed to be able to attend the college that I do. I have amazing friends, I am apart of an amazing team, and I am not that far from home. Yet, there really is nothing like a hug from your mom when a day doesn't go quite go the way you expected it to, and I didn't realize how much those hugs really meant until this year.

I am not ashamed that at 21 years old sometimes the only thing I really need is my mom or dad. No matter my age, I will always want them. As I head into this next semester I hope that I know that they are always by my side and a phone call away and as much as I wish I could say there won't be tears because I miss them, I know there will be. But in the end, is there really anything wrong with missing those who you love most? I don't think so.