10 Songs For Anyone Suffering From Homesickness

Let's be honest, I miss my dog the most.

19008
me, myself, and I

Homesickness-- it happens to the best of us, and most of us for that matter. If you're like me, you're almost 2 hours away from home, and cannot whimsically take trips home whenever you start to feel homesick. So, I have found that the next best thing to do is blast songs that remind you of home. I grew up with a lot of country music so, whenever I start to feel even the slightest bit of homesickness, I blast country-- even though my suitmates might hate it. I obviously understand if you don't want to blast country to make yourself feel better, so I hope these 10 have a little influence on you.

1. "Castle On The Hill" - Ed Sheeran

When I first heard this hit song, I was sitting on the bus on my way to school during my senior year of high school. The only thought going through my head the whole time was "Wow! This is going to make me bawl my eyes out when I leave for college." And sure enough, now whenever I hear it, my heart hurts a little and I begin to miss home more than ever. This might not cure your homesickness, but it will surely remind you of home when you need it.

2. "Don't Forget Where You Belong" - One Direction

I was recently reminded of this banger when I was watching a cringy compilation video that my best friend made for our friend group in middle school. This is another one of those songs that might not exactly cure you of homesickness, but it might cause you to have a good cry session. I will definitely be right there with you.

3. "Homegrown" - Zac Brown Band

This song might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it surely reminds me of my country music influence. It reminds me of my friends and family back in my hometown that I grew up with, and the block parties and BBQ's where this was blasted. Homegrown is a staple on my homesickness playlist.

4. "Take Me Back Home" - Coasts

The song is all about wishing you could go back home and to a time where everything was perfect. If you need to heal a relationship or just need a song that tells you how perfect your hometown is, this is your song-- the band isn't too bad either.

5. "Homesick" - Dua Lipa

While I personally cannot relate, I have friends who are in long distance relationships who know this feeling. Not having that person next to you 24/7 must be extremely hard, but I promise you, you will see them soon enough. Enjoy where you are right now.

6. "Just Hold On" - Steve Aoki & Louis Tomlinson

Whilst the beginning of the song is all about missing the past, it reminds me of something very important-- you're only going to get one chance to live your life the way college allows you to live it, so you cannot sit around being miserable. You need to take the opportunities now to go adventuring and experience new things, despite how hard they might be because you might be missing home.

7. "Who Says You Can't Go Home" - Jon Bon Jovi

I mean, it's a song by a man who will never have to worry about getting home, because he can literally afford his own private jet and chauffeur if he so pleases, but the sentiment is still there. You can always go home, and all the people you left behind will still be there, living and functioning exactly the same way they were before you left.

8. "3,000 Miles" - Emblem3

This is the ultimate FOMO song... not that it helps that it's set around the holidays, or because it's literally a song about not being able to be home when you have other obligations across the country. You might not be able to home for every holiday or every birthday, but you're living your best life at college. Which is something that many wish they could say, and something your family and friends are surely wishing for you.

9. "My Wish" - Rascal Flatts

This is another personal song to me because 1. it's county and 2. it's my big sister's song to me. It's also very cute and adorable because I am sure it is something your family wishes they could say to you, especially now that you've got yourself in a homesick funk. So, once you've stopped ugly crying, remember that your family wants you away at school because you are making your future better by being there.

10. "...Belle (Reprise)" - Beauty and The Beast

Of course, if you know anything about this song before this, you'll know that it isn't a normal homesick song. I always like to listen to this last because it reminds me why I left home. Belle is dreaming of a better, more successful life for herself, and that is exactly what you and I are doing at college. Channel your inner Belle, or Hermione if you prefer that, but remember that it's going to be okay.

Personally, I always try to remember that I will always know where home is, and it will always welcome me back with open arms. That is why I am okay where I am because I am doing it for myself-- and my family and friends understand that. College is something we all need to do and our homes will always be there. Remember that you won't always have the opportunities you have now, so you need to tell homesickness that no matter where it happens, you are exactly where you need to be, and you'll go home soon enough.