Coming Home From College With A New Perspective

My Freshman Year Of College Left Me With A New Perspective On Life

Lots of firsts can lead to great things.

341
Peyton Kline

A lot has changed since last August when I packed up everything I owned and moved away to a new place, unsure and secretly terrified about the adventure I was about to take on.

Over the course of my first year of college, I experienced many firsts, some minor, like the first time doing my own laundry or the first time navigating a new city, and some more significant, like my first time having a roommate, first time not having the friends I'd known my entire life just a few minutes away, and the first time truly being on my own.

When I left for college last year, I didn't realize how different my perspective would be when I came home, nothing feeling quite like it did when I left. I had been given a taste of independence, of having to figure things out for myself, and noticed many changes concerning the relationships I had with people I left behind for the semester. Some friendships had grown stronger with distance, including that of my family, who I appreciate more than ever after being away for so long, but unfortunately, some friendships that I thought would last a lifetime faded away, too.

While this thought of loss would have devastated me last year as I left for college, now it is something that has offered me a sense of clarity. I discovered that the people who surrounded me weren't who made me who I was, and it took being alone for a while for me to figure that out.

While there will be some constants in my life, I now know that most things won't be predictable, they'll be quite the contrary. Planning every step of my life and who is going to fit into that plan is simply unrealistic, and quite frankly a destructive way of thinking.

Being on my own and having so much time for myself showed me that I don't need anyone else to be successful, to be complete, or most importantly, to be happy.

Going away for college gave me a special appreciation for the place I came from, the people who stayed by my side, and the new things that I have been privileged enough to experience. And, at the end of the day, going away for college taught me how to be my own person. It showed me how to not have to rely on anyone for small things, like calling to make my own appointments or even big things, like making decisions about my future. I am now more confident in myself and my abilities than ever before, and it took me not having the choice of doubting myself to realize that.

Things aren't the same as they were when I left them but in the best way possible. I now have a better understanding of what is most important to me, a strong calling toward the career I have chosen to pursue, and even found some incredible new friendships along the way.

Now, things that were once far-fetched dreams seem in reach, and I am confident that I can do anything with my life that I set my mind to. I know that going forward, I will have the complete support of my friends and family who have stuck with me so far, but more importantly, I am supported by my newfound belief in myself.