Going Home For Thanksgiving As Told By GIFs

Brace yourselves for the best and worst of this holiday break.

147

The holiday season is upon us! For many college students like yourself, home is the destination this Thanksgiving. As you prepare to go home for possibly the first time in months, there's so much excitement to be back in your old stomping grounds. Here are the 13 stages of going home this Thanksgiving break.

1. Seeing your family for the first time in months

There's nothing like coming home and embracing your family, friends, and your dog who meets you at the door.

2. Getting pampered by parents

Free laundry? Free food? Free money? Thank you Ma and Pa.

3. ...And getting nagged by your parents

You being home means that your parents think this is the perfect time for you to get things done, help around the house, and stop by Aunt Sue's house. And you reluctantly obey.

4. Getting a full night's rest for the first time in four months

Your own bed, no roommates, and no 8 a.m. classes?! This calls for celebration. And by celebration I mean a glorious night of uninterrupted sleep.

5. Relationship status questions and other trite inquires

"Do you have a boyfriend?" (No, I'm independent as hell and don't need a man!)

"How's school?" (It's great, I actually love it a lot.)

"How are your classes going?" (Uhhh... [I change the subject.])

6. Going to your favorite hangout spot with best friends

There's nothing like getting the gang together and going back to that one place that you made crazy memories together.

7. Having to leave your college habits at the door

Pretending that you can only handle one drink is an art form.

8. Lying to your family about how much you study

Everybody thinks that you spend the entirety of your week and weekends studying and not napping, Netflixing (and chilling...?), and hanging out with friends. Maintain that illusion.

9. Changing every story you tell

"My friend and I went to a restaurant at midnight and had so much fun." Hint: everything italicized is the PG version of your R-rated night that you will tell your relatives to hide the truth that they would rather not hear.

10. Searching for your alone time

Coming home means undergoing the max amount of social interaction in as little time as possible, but you need your own space sometimes.

11. Indulging in real food and eggs that don't come from a bag

You can only take dining hall food and your own crappy cooking for so long until it's time to eat something that actually looks edible.

12. Trying to slip what you've learned during class into casual conversation

You may say you're trying to convince your parents that what you're learning about the metaphysics of ethics is applicable to real life, but you're really just trying to convince yourself.

13. Realizing that it's time to go back

No matter how much you love (or hate) being home, your school is your second home too. At some point it's time to go back, see your friends, and get back to being a college student. Happy break, young soul, and remember, it's only five days. Make the most of it. You'll be back on campus soon and can return to limited sleep and crazy weekends (Thursdays).