How To Survive The Holidays At Home

How To Survive The Holidays At Home

Coping and enjoying the most wonderful time of the year with the family.

35
How To Survive The Holidays At Home
@matthewbell90

The holidays are a hectic time. I don't think anyone over the age of 18 with a family to visit could argue this. We have a day dedicated to a bird (Thanksgiving) and family, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Year's, (which is arguably the best of all of these holidays). and the Feast of our Lady Guadalupe.

As a Fayetteville Native I see the influx and reduction of students leaving or returning for this time of year to spend time with their families. For many of us college students, we might find ourselves in an awkward position at these times of reunion with family. Typically at my family reunions during the holidays I find myself in a hotter seat than an Arkansas Razorback Football coach.

Questions like "So What are you going to do with your degree once you graduate?", "What do you even do with a Journalism/Poli-Sci/(insert any major besides finance, engineering) major?", "Are you dating?" , "Why are you still single?" , and "So, being in school what do you think about (insert hot-button topic here)?" tend to bubble up to the surface.

These questions are the types of questions we see from a mile away that make us cringe a little when we hear them, and also reinforce the idea that the holidays can suck, especially with toxic families. Typically people characterize these specific questions as the reason most of us don't enjoy a large portion of the time we have during the holidays. If this is the case for you too, I have some solutions to make that inevitable suffering not so brutally regrettable after finishing off the eggnog and Bailey's and telling your Aunt Virginia for the thousandth time you'll cross that bridge when you get there.

First things first, Prioritize your time. Before any parties, dinners, or gatherings it's a good idea to know what you're going to do on those busy days with multiple meals, especially if you have multiple families to see in the case of couples. While we all wish we could stay for longer, sometimes the best way to keep a distance from those family members that grill us to share that we have other things planned for the rest of the day, and don't want to get into talking about dating, school, work, or politics. Tell them you've got to go see your significant other's family today too, maybe you have some old friends in town to catch up with.

Whatever it is, make sure you keep your time precious. This inadvertently lets your family know that you're on top of things and they have to make the most out of the time they get with you.

If you don't have a lot of family to see, yet you want to have your space, be out and about. The holiday season always provides a variety of options when it comes to entertainment. Depending on where you live you can almost always find some nice decoration at your local park to really give you a chance you might need to take a walk and get a breath of fresh air to clear your mind. Of course, if you don't find solace in the park you can always find a way to give back over the holidays.

There are always food drives, donation programs, and ways you can help out those less fortunate than you. Over the years one of the most satisfying gifts you can have during the holidays is some reassurance you're helping out those that need it and putting your own situation into perspective. Whether that's through standing outside a grocery store ringing a bell for hours at people or helping out your local Boy Scout Troop with a food drive, there will always be ways to help out in the community for those that really need it.

I can't stress this one enough. If philanthropy isn't your thing though, there is always a way to ice-skate (depending on where you live, there's an ice-skating rink in Springdale here in Northwest Arkansas), see a play, or The Nutcracker, because that's a classic. Doing all of these things will give you the chance to have some time to yourself, or a chance to be out with your family to be festive, instead of politically charged (*cough cough* looks at Grandma).

If you don't have any means of getting out, or you find yourself stuck in the grill-session, it's okay you're not hopeless. While it would certainly be high-and-mighty of me to say "We should enjoy being with our family all the time regardless of the situation.". I understand that some of us don't find ourselves in picture-perfect situations during the holidays.

Luckily I've had the experience of being around a pleasant family, and a not-so-pleasant one as well my entire life. One method I use to cope with a callous family member relentless in their pursuit to prod is to allow them to criticize me, voice their opinion, make their assertions about what it is I'm inadequate with, and not react at all. In the past, it was always triggering, or easy to fuel the fire of a toxic family member, but as time has gone on you have to realize that your happiness is essential to enjoying these times we have with out family.

It's easy to be upset, or frustrated with our families asking silly questions. Don't let it happen though, our energy during the holidays is way too precious to waste on arguing or criticizing. Remember that there are going to be times where your family may have a shot to ask something you may not feel entirely comfortable with. Think about why you may be asked these things, and remember that your family members were once your age too, get them to spill some of their anecdotes about their days. Odds are they'll gush about that the whole dinner.

While I certainly can't cover every situation with every possible answer, I know that these three pillars are all very effective for ensuring a somewhat peaceful holiday season based on personal experiences. Whatever the case, just remember to not enjoy too much eggnog.