8 Holiday Horror Movies To Get You Through The Week

'Tis the season to be scary! Fa la la la la, la la la la!

31
Copperheart Entertainment

Arguably, one of the most underrated genres of film is Holiday Horror. I get it, October is FILLED with screams and scares, so why not pop in "Elf" on November 1st and stick with feel-good Christmas movies until December 25th?

BECAUSE HOLIDAY HORROR IS THE BEST, THAT'S WHY NOT.

We don't have to abandon the spooky spirit when Halloween season ends. Bust out the egg nog and settle in for this list of Holiday Horrors to keep you screaming this Christmas season.

8. RARE EXPORTS (2010)

In a nutshell: explorers find THE Santa Claus and Christmas is forever ruined for everyone that discovers who he really is.

7. INSIDE (2007)

While the plot of this film doesn't necessarily concern the holiday season, the movie DOES primarily take place in a suburban home on Christmas Eve. Seeing the protagonist's Christmas tree next to yours will make YOU feel like the one being stalked by a murderous woman seeking your unborn child :)

6. JACK FROST (1997)

Think: "Child's Play" meets "Frosty the Snowman." A killer named Jack Frost gets magically turned into a snowman and goes on a perverted murderous rampage on the small town of Snowmonton... I promise I'm not making this up.

5. THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1997)

I know, I know – this isn't so much a horror for our generation anymore. But it's still a classic! What other movie perfectly ties together Halloween AND Christmas? None. With a killer soundtrack and breathtaking stop-motion animation, you can't just NOT watch this at least once from October to January.

4. A CHRISTMAS HORROR STORY (2015)

What's great about this movie is that it's an anthology, which means it's comprised of multiple stories (4 to be exact). William Shatner plays a radio DJ that follows along with all four very different and uniquely zany Christmas horror stories. And the best part? It's on Netflix!!!!

3. BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974 & 2006)

When the blizzard confines them to their sorority house, a group of college girls find themselves fighting for their lives against a murderous squatter who has been living in their attic for God knows how long. While this is a remake of a 1974 classic (that arguably kicked off the Holiday Horror genre), you're probably going to wanna watch the 2006 version simply for the familiarity of Katie Cassidy, Lacey Chabert, Michelle Trachtenberg and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

2. KRAMPUS (2015)

When a young boy loses the Christmas spirit, the holiday demon Krampus decides it's time to pay his family a visit and kill them all with the help of his evil minions - stuffed animals, wind-up toys, and gingerbread men. You will definitely have mixed feelings about this movie. Is it actually stupid? Or is it so self-aware that it's a brilliant mix of camp and horror? I'm gonna go with the latter.

1. GREMLINS (1984)

I mean, is there really any other option for the top of this list? This movie set the stage for ever camp horror holiday film to come following its release. For those who live under a rock don't know, "Gremlins" tells the story of a boy's Christmas gift that ends up spawning an evil brood of little monsters that wreak havoc on a small town during the holiday season. If you ever receive a mogwai for Christmas, whatever you do, don't feed it after midnight.