I Hate My Dining Hall

I Hate My Dining Hall

Thoughts from my freshman-self.

27
I Hate My Dining Hall
allertrain.com

It was spring semester of my freshman year when I was introduced to my work-study job at UNH as a form of punishment, an ultimatum: a consequence of my actions. I applied begrudgingly, having a negative mindset and seeing absolutely no positive gain from working. Sure, I was going to get some kind of paycheck but I'd be doing something I didn't really like and I was new so I knew it was going to suck. It's not like I'd make friends and I was working later shifts so I'd probably be sleepy and irritable.

I did not want to work and I especially did not want to work in my school's most popular and biggest dining hall. My aunts had joked about the very real possibility of me in the dining hall just as they had did and I laughed it off because I thought sure,like that was really going to happen.

I applied, accepted, and began to work for Holloway Commons, "HoCo," but I hated it. I dreaded every shift and always wanted to call out. I never let myself open up to the people there. I did my job and I left. There was nothing special about it and I didn't find it gratifying. The paycheck was nice but my mindset was stuck in one gear, swarmed with negativity and I wasn't willing to change or budge. I swore to myself I'd find something else and I wouldn't return.

Fast-forward to the fall of my sophomore year and despite applying to nine different work-study positions in the summer, I was jobless. I returned, half-heartedly, to work back at that dang dining hall and I couldn't have made a better choice. My supervisor offered me a position to work the reception stand for a few hours on Saturday nights and I gladly accepted; it changed my perspective greatly.

Over my sophomore year, my mindset drastically shifted. I was a different person. I gave it a chance -- if I was going to work here again, I didn't want to be miserable. Once I opened up my mindset, I realized how much I was missing the first semester I'd worked there. I began creating relationships with the full-time employees, gradually building bonds with my supervisors, and making an effort to befriend my student co-workers. Now I can confidently go to work, knowing I won't hate my job and I can speak confidently about working for dining services.

As a junior, there was no doubt in my mind I'd return to HoCo. I'd finally befriended my coworkers, had a great relationship with my superiors, and felt safe, respected, and trusted at my workplace. I can say without a doubt working at the dining hall has provided me with the best working environment. I don't mind mixing tuna or packing cheese. Washing tables isn't ideal, but I don't hate my life when I'm doing it now. I can sit at the front of the hall and swipe people in without clocking the hours down till I can go home.

I can walk into the dining hall when I'm not working with a huge smile and know there are people there who will greet me with a smile and a hug. I love knowing the associates behind the corners of each station. I feel proud to know our chef and have a good relationship with him. I'm happy I can talk to my superiors about anything and feel a genuine bond with them.

I'm glad I stayed working at that stupid, stupid dining hall to realize the only thing that was stupid about it was my narrow-minded interpretation of it.

I'm not ashamed of my job. I'm not ashamed of being "the HoCo girl." Sure, I groan and roll my eyes whenever somebody approaches me on the street on a Saturday night saying they recognize me from the dining hall. However, I realize how fortunate I am to have an opportunity to work while I study. I realize how blessed I am to have such a positive working environment and excellent coworkers. I realize it's actually an awesome thing to work for your school's dining hall.