Why You Won't Miss High School

Why You Won't Miss High School

The person you are now will not be the person you are in college. I promise you.

6
Why You Won't Miss High School

Dear High School Seniors,

The day is quickly approaching when you will all be dressed in your caps and gowns, walking down the aisles of a theater, hoping not to fall and embarrass yourselves. You may feel like all the days leading up to this one are such a drag, and to be honest, they are. You have a few more grueling months in high school, and then you can finally make your escape to the promised land: College.

By now, you probably know or have some idea of where you want to attend in the Fall. You have your dorm decor figured out and you already have hoodies and shirts with your new school's logo all over it. You wear your "merch" everyday as a sign of hope that you will be out of high school soon.

You're probably expecting this entire letter to reiterate the fact that you should "cherish the time you have in high school." You should, if you'd like to, but you also have the choice of not doing so. People never really speak on this. Don't get me wrong, I loved my friends and teachers, but I was ready for a change. It's perfectly justifiable to want to leave somewhere you've been for years and move on with your life! Everyone's high school experience is different. Some people think it's worth remembering and others don't.

I was in your shoes a year ago, downloading countdown apps on my phone, saying "I cannot wait to leave" several times a day, and I shamelessly do not regret doing any of that. You can't penalize someone for being excited about change! I sometimes miss the rush I got while thinking about prom and the senior trip.

That is why I am encouraging all of you to stay excited and keep up your motivation for encouraging change in your life. There is a big, big world out there to explore. It's fine to say that you were not pleased with your high school experience and you simply just want to start over.

My days I've spent complaining in senior year have paid off. I've only been in college for a semester now but I can honestly say, college brought out the person I have always wanted to be. I never had the courage to do half the things I'm doing now, in high school. I am now a student leader who is very involved in campus life. I'm not afraid to speak my mind or pursue my interests. The only way to get by in this world is to speak up! I've learned that from my short time here.

You can do the same, too. I'd like to call college a "judgment free zone." There's literally a club or organization to satisfy every interest of yours. There's no one stopping you from following your dreams in college because everyone here is trying to do the same also. The point is: college is one of the greatest parts of your life. It's not the party scene or late movie nights that make college what it is. It's the opportunities where you are allowed to be yourself that make it worthwhile.

Keep wearing your college hoodies to high school every day with pride and know that the change you want is coming your way. You will be out soon. The person you are now will not be the person you are in college. I promise you. Don't let anyone discourage you from wanting a fresh start. From a college freshman to a high school senior, cherish the time you have in college.

Sincerely,

An ex-high school senior living the college life

P.S. Nothing good comes easy.