To the High School Seniors Picking Their Colleges

Get ready for a whirlwind of excitement

35
Kayla Master

It's more than a week into April, and it's officially college selection season. Every day I'm seeing another senior commit to their favorite school, and as we get closer to that May 1st deadline the number continues to increase. It's crazy to think how fast everything has gone by since I committed to my school of choice over a year ago, and it's so awesome to see the next year of students decide where they want to go. Today was Open House for my school, Rutgers University, and it was great to see all of the new potential Scarlet Knights, whether it was on the buses to walking down College Ave for the first time to visiting my residence hall and seeing where they may live next year. Hopefully they all end up here at Rutgers here with me next year and get to have an amazing first year like I've had.

So for all of the other high school seniors out there who are choosing or trying to choose their future school, just know that for the most part, you can't make a wrong choice. Whether you want to stay close to home or halfway across the country, pick a place that you feel most at home. Every school has their own offerings and their own unique traditions, so it's up to each student to find a place where they feel most comfortable and can see themselves spending their next 4 years. When i was looking for school more than a year ago, I tried to pick a school that I could envision myself walking around at, and for me that school was definitely Rutgers.

If you're still stuck between schools or have no idea what you want to do, that's okay too. You might not've gotten in your dream school, or just don't feel that connected with the schools you did get into or visited. Just make a decision that you feel most confident with and are most excited about going to. When you close your eyes and picture yourself graduating about 4 years from now, which of your options do you most see yourself at? That one idea alone played a big role in helping me decide for my school.

And for the seniors that have already picked their schools: congratulations! That's such a big decision and I'm so glad that you made it. Wherever you decided to go will be lucky to have you as addition to their student body. College can be such a big step in anyone's life and you're about to embark on the craziest adventure yet. My freshman year of college went by in a heartbeat, so before you know it you'll be in my shoes reminiscing on the past year. So, good luck on your decisions and on your college career!