Did High School Fail You As An Adult?

Did High School Fail You As An Adult?

We spent all those years learning about all these intense subjects, but was school missing out a couple of subjects.

1

Have you ever been walking down the street and saw a building that cast such a large shadow and asked yourself, “Gee, I wonder how tall this building is based on this 60 foot shadow which the building cast, and if the angle from the ground to the top of the building is 35 degrees.” No. Not at any moment have I ever needed the basic algebra that I learned in high school.

Years later, I notice that most of high-school mathematics classes were almost completely pointless for us to take. We use to sit there five days out of a week and learn about how to find the “x” when we should have been learning things we would use in everyday life.

We should have been taught how to do things that we needed to learn to help us as adults. I took a poll among a group of friends and found that these are things that as adults now we have no idea how to do.

1. How to balance a checkbook.

We all know that we spend money and make money but when it comes to keeping track of all of it some people don't know for sure how to balance a check book, or even keep up with their expenses.

2. How to do taxes.

There is not explanation for taxes, people who have done them for years still don't know how to do them. Taxes are going to be a mystery till the day we die.

3. How to budget money.

This reason goes with number one in a way, but is a good explanation as to why some people accidentally find themselves with two dollars in their account.

4. How to create a resume.

I can speak for this personally. When I went off to college, I had my mother help me write a resume so I could get a better job.

5. How to change your oil.

Dad: "Alexis have you checked your oil lately?"

Me: "The red nob and the yellow nob look fine."

Dad: "Alexis, how many times do I need to tell you which one is the transmission fluid and which one is the oil?"

Me: "Every time you call and ask. "

6. How to wash your clothes.

Living in a college dorm we all know those people who don't know how to do their laundry because you can sit in the laundry room and watch them put their laundry in without detergent or fabric softener.

7. How to put gas in your car.

There is no explanation for this. I can't help you here if you don't know how to pump your own gas as an adult.

8. How to rent/buy a house or an apartment.

Recently I have signed a lease to an apartment and I had no idea of what I needed. Things including: renters insurance, how to turn on the electricity, how to deal with loud neighbors and other things that you didn't even know about.

9. How to get credit, or what credit even is.

What so many adults don't know now is that credit is needed in order for you to buy many large or expensive items.

10. How to get a job.

You can apply to many places as you want, but what a lot of people don't know is that calling back to the places, which you apply, can help you a lot. There are so many tricks into getting jobs. When job applications ask you if you would be OK with another location within the area and you say yes. Not only are you applying to that job, but you are also applying to their "sister companies."

When it comes to high school, I just feel as though they have failed us in some part. I myself, have ran into many issues in life growing up and wondered why we never learned these things in high school.