Hi, I'm Poppy

Hi, I'm Poppy

Pop singer and songwriter That Poppy is taking over the world with a pretty smile, cute dresses and unsettling penchant for dark undertones

344
Hi, I'm Poppy
That Poppy

Singer and songwriter, That Poppy -- or just Poppy -- has been gaining traction with her music video for "Lowlife," a song that talks about that someone in your life that “takes a sh***y day and makes it alright,” because they’re the “highlight in [your] lowlife.” The music video follows the usual Poppy aesthetic, having light, pastel colors, cute, stereotypically girly elements and bright lights that cover the darker, stranger undertones. And when it comes to Poppy, strange is one word that fits fairly well.

She posts regular videos on her YouTube channel, all directed by Titanic Sintclair, that range from nonsensical to bizarre to disturbing, with little to no explanation, but no less eye-catching. With Poppy being a persona of sorts, it definitely adds a level of intrigue to the pop/rock singer who looks so innocent at first glance. As of right now, she has uploaded 66 videos, the most popular being, "I’m Poppy." Which showcases her repeating that phrase in different tones and from different angles for 10 minutes straight.

</center><span id="selection-marker-1" class="redactor-selection-marker" data-verified="redactor"></span>

In "Lowlife," there are plenty of oddities such as men in zentais and Poppy herself dining with Satan, but she does it all with a demure expression and in cute dresses. Currently at 1.3 million views, her following and viewership are steadily growing, earning her the title of glorified Pop Princess Poppy. The single comes from her EP Bubblebath, which was released on February 12 after signing with Island Records.

But with her music, is she satirizing the entire industry, pretending to be another well-oiled, robotic Pop music machine? Or Is she just having fun, giving her fans great music to listen to? Either way, Poppy certainly does make you want to take over the world in her name.

Bubblebath includes three other songs: "Money," "Altar" and "American Kids." Each is addictive in its own way, so whether you hate or love Poppy, you won’t be able to deny that Poppy loves you. The album art is very bubblegum pink, with that color taking up the majority of the cover, leaving Poppy’s head and hands peeking over the edge of a clawfoot, pristine white bathtub in the middle.

Having grown up in Nashville, Tennessee, Poppy has since made herself known by creating a self-proclaimed “Kawaii Barbie princess” that’s impossible to really understand. From giving 20-minute Bible readings on YouTube to producing one-hit, typical pop songs, the only thing we can know for sure is that Poppy is Poppy. But, really, what else is there to know?

All of Poppy’s music is available online on YouTube, Spotify, Pandora, etc., and can be purchased on Amazon, iTunes and more. She’s also available on Bandcamp where fans can purchase limited edition T-shirts and on Twitter and Facebook, where she posts her equally strange status updates. But no matter how strange, it’s inherently, undeniably Poppy.

Keep on the lookout for more of Poppy's music and more of her YouTube videos, because she's not going anywhere but the top anytime soon.