HGTV Shows You Have to Watch, Ranked by Importance

We all have an interior designer in us—we just need advice. A lot.

15

There are two types of people who watch HGTV: those who have a third eye when it comes to decorating their homes but want to find a few more bits of inspiration, and those who don’t have a clue how to hammer a nail and need all the help they can get. Alright, maybe there’s a third option: someone who has the skill but lacks the designer eye. And that’s okay, because HGTV is more than loaded with enough shows to help bring your wishful thinking to fruition. Starting with the “yeah, it’s good—you should watch it” shows to the “Oh my god, you need to see what they did in this episode” series, here are the most important HGTV shows you should watch—or at least save on your DVR for when you have the time:

7. "Buying and Selling"

Alright, this one’s first because, frankly, it’s new and not the most entertaining show the Scott Brothers have to offer. Nevertheless, they make "Buying and Selling"interesting solely because it’s the exact opposite of what they normally do. Rather than complete a giant project, they’re able to make a few tweaks here and there that make their clients’ houses look spectacular. Given the fact that most people can’t afford to renovate their current house before buying a new home, it’s helpful to see how you can fix up one room and still increase value.

6. "Love It or List It"

When I say "Love It or List It," I mean the original. Don’t even think about watching "Love It or List It Too."David and Hilary forever. David’s snarky looks combined with Hilary’s exasperation makes this show look like a soap opera and a home improvement show had a love child. Though David comes up with some pretty nice options, you’ll likely always root for Hilary. Poor girl only has so much money to work on so many problems, but she delivers.

5. "Rehab Addict"

You’ve got to love a girl who is willing to get in the midst of the construction, even if she’s small enough to fit in a cupboard. Nicole Curtis has some serious muscles and could tear down those houses if she wanted to. Instead, she saves the dignity of some beautiful, historic homes that have been neglected but need to be appreciated. Why buy new when the old can be just as functional?

4. "Flip or Flop"

As frustrating as it is that Tarek and Christina are just in the business for the money and complain about only making $10,000 on a house (I’m sorry, but that could pay off a nice chunk of school loans, or a car, or get stashed away in a savings account), they still leave a house looking a lot better than how it started. With Tarek’s budgeting skills and Christina’s eye, they manage to create sleek and modern houses, no matter than starting product.

3. "Tiny House Hunters"

This new tiny house fad is actually pretty awesome. Some are mobile, others stationary. Such an inexpensive way to live, and this show makes it known that there are actually a lot more on the market than we realize. If you have too much stuff and need to quit hoarding, a tiny house will certainly do the trick.

2. "Property Brothers"

The Scott Brothers are truly amazing, and this show is where they really shine. Like Nicole Curtis, they take the worst house in the neighborhood and make it unrecognizable. Though Jonathan comes across way too many problems along the way, he keeps that contingency plan in check and pulls through, no matter how many plans he has to readjust. He doesn’t cut corners—he gets the job done right. And he does it all without ever ruining his hair.

1. "Fixer Upper"

To save the best for last. Chip and Joanna do everything the other shows do—and better. They find the least desirable house on the block and turn it into their clients’ dream home. Chip keeps his dad bod in check with all that construction, and Joanna keeps the price low with her shiplap obsession—if she finds it, she uses it. Her designer eye is so unique. She models the houses and decorates the rooms to fit each family specifically, adding a one-of-a-kind touch with whatever antique treasures she comes across in her flea market raids. They’ll make you wish you live in Waco, Texas.

Now start watching! You can never have too much HGTV in your life.