An Open Letter To My Sister

An Open Letter To My Sister

Have I told you lately that I love you?

20
An Open Letter To My Sister
Maddy Myers

Hey Sister,

When I look back on the past 20 years of my life, I've realized my best memories were made with you. The greatest days of my life, the hardest times I’ve faced, you have been there for all of them.

Having a sister meant that I never have had to do anything alone. Fights with mom and dad, bad grades on tests, learning to drive, hitting the mailbox with dad’s car, applying to college, all of these things were less scary because I had you living across the hall from me when I was experiencing it all.

When we were little, it was pretty obvious that we were the total opposites attract type of siblings. You have always been mature, incredibly organized, and overachieving in the best possible way. I have always been the wild child, the one that kept mom and dad on their toes, and the one who wanted to be just like you, which is ironic because it usually is the other way around since I’m the older sister. For a long time, I wanted to be just like you. I wanted to have it all together, to know what I was doing with my life, but you have showed me that the way I am is enough. We are different people and that’s okay, because I learn from you every single day and I hope you can say the same about me.

Having a little sister meant that I had someone who looks up to me from day one, which is both a blessing and a burden. I look back on my high school years and all I can do is hope that you make better choices than I did, but then I remember that all those choices have led me to where I am now, getting good grades in college and having fun with my best friends, and I know you’ll be totally okay.

Two years may seem like a huge age difference, but it really doesn’t feel that long at all. I remember the place that I was in two years ago. I was so excited to almost be done with high school, but at the same incredibly nostalgic over my life up until that point. The fact that in a few months I would be starting a new life completely on my own was overwhelming, scary, exciting, and surreal. I remember loving school, the classes I got to take as a senior, the people I had surrounded myself with, but also wanting to meet people from other places and see other parts of the world than the town I grew up in. I hope you aren't afraid. I hope you take all the moments of these next few months in and appreciating them for what they are; but I hope that your future excites you, and motivates you, and you can see how truly capable you are of doing anything.

So, here’s to you sister. Here’s to everything that you are and everything you aren’t, because you are the best friend I could have ever asked for exactly as you are. I can’t thank you for all you do, because thank you is not enough. You have given me a life of friendship and fun, Third Eye Blind summer concerts, 4 AM Black Friday shopping trips, summers at the beach, Starbucks dates for days, and most of all, you have given me all the love and support I’ll ever need. I love you!!!

XOXO sister