To My Not-So-Little Brother

To My Not-So-Little Brother

I hope you grow up to be whatever you want to be.

8
To My Not-So-Little Brother
Hayley Owen

Having someone so close in age to you as a sibling is a blessing and a curse. You always have someone to play with, always someone to go swimming with over the summer, someone to play games outside with and just have fun with while you are young. Being so close in age though we also butted heads a lot. We would fight and throw things at each other and trying to annoy each other to the point of a breakdown. We were so much alike, and so stubborn that it just caused a bad mix most of the time growing up.

But we did have to grow up dealing with the same difficulties that the other had to. We had struggles that no one else could even comprehend how to deal with or to help us with. We had our own demons and had to grow up with a family who fought their own addictions and battles. We never got along, one reason being we resented the other for what they got and we didn’t. One of us was babied more than the other and one of us was handed more while the other had to work for it.

Now that we are older and we don’t get to see each other, as often, we are closer than we ever thought was possible. I now know how much I care about having you as my brother and how much you love having me as your sister. We have each other’s backs and would protect each other from psycho exes and make sure our partners have our best interests in mind. When it comes down to it, we are all each other had had in this tough battle of growing up in a tough family situation and we will be able to conquer anything that comes our way.

I hope you grow up to be whatever you want to be. I hope you never have to carry more than you can haul and know you can always depend on someone to help you when you are struggling. I hope you know I will help you achieve whatever you set your mind to and want to have happen in your life. Whenever you remember the days we had together, remember I have always loved you and you’re my little brother and I will always protect you and have your back, even if you are like a foot taller than me…