Here Are The 4 Best Movies That Are Based On A True Story

Four highly-recommended films to watch that are based on a true story.

57
Photo by Jakob Owens on Unsplash

If you're looking for a movie to watch, look no further than my list of the four best movies based on true stories.

1. Schindler's List (1993)

This film, directed by Steven Spielberg, is a must-watch at some point in your life. It's the kind of movie you don't have to rewatch a bunch of times because it will be embedded into your memory. The three-hour and 15-minute film will take you on a journey through Nazi Germany during World War II. The main character, Oskar Schindler, is a member of the Nazi Party and hires Jewish workers in his factory. Schindler ends up saving around 1,000 Jewish lives. Through the film, the audience is taken through the heart-wrenching history of the Holocaust and Hitler's ruling in Germany. This movie is very educational and informative about important historical events.

2. Captain Phillips (2013)

This film, directed by Paul Greengrass, takes the audience through the days and nights leading up to the hijacking of a U.S. cargo ship by Somali pirates in 2009. Captain Phillips, who is played by the beloved actor Tom Hanks, is taken hostage inside a lifeboat that was originally on the cargo ship. The film takes the audience through the intense days and nights that Captain Phillips and his crew experienced. The U.S. Navy was involved and was determined to get Captain Phillips home safe. This movie is a thriller and will keep you on your toes.

3. The Impossible (2012)

This film is directed by J.A. Bayona and is based on the 2004 Tsunami that hit Southeast Asia. This film is a vacationer's and traveler's worst nightmare: a natural disaster. A family of five decide to go to Thailand for a vacation, and little did they know that a deadly Tsunami was en route. One day they were vacationers, and the next day they were all fighting for their lives. During the storm, the family got separated, which adds even more suspense to the film. The audience is taken through the traumatic experience the family had to face and the challenges they endured to stay alive.

4. Adrift (2018)

This is a newer film directed by Baltasar Kormákur and is a love story that turned into a survival story. The main characters, Tami Oldham and Richard Sharp, fell in love and wanted to travel the world together. They embarked on a sailing trip when Hurricane Raymond hit in the middle of their journey. This film takes you through 41 days of injuries, hallucinations, no food, and a broken sailboat.

All of these films are suspenseful and will keep you on the edge of your seat. Highly recommended for your next movie night!