Helping The Country One College Town At A Time

LaGrange College gives students ample opportunities to help the community

10
Saige MacLeay

During High School I spent all my time I wasn't working or training trying to serve my community to make an impact on the world without using any money. That was one of my main things I looked for in a college, the ability to have opportunities to better the community and better myself by helping others. With just finishing my first year, I came to the small town of LaGrange from giant Jacksonville, Florida; a 5 hour and 36-minute drive (on a good day).

I never knew how going to such a small school in such a small town would change my life for the better. The small town that seems to have nothing is actually perfect for this giant city girl. It showed me how much of an impact I could make in my community, being a student the school basically forces you to get involved and help by fixing houses in the local area and gives you many different contests throughout the year to win t-shirts by donating canned goods.

Getting involved in Alpha Omicron Pi, just made it even better. The amount of money our sorority raised for different causes was completely shocking to me. It slowly sank in that we have 3 different sororities and 3 different fraternities just on our small campus that are ALL making a huge difference in the world. Then each sorority or fraternity has hundreds of thousands of chapters across the whole country. Through LaGrange College and AOII, I'm able to make more of an impact helping the community than I ever thought possible.

All freshman are required to take a class called Cornerstone, where we focused a lot on the impact we can make in people's lives by helping them. We read books and heard lectures from different people who changed everything about their lives to be able to help the world or their community. My particular class read a book (Outcasts United by Warren St John) about all the different refugees that had relocated in Clarkston, Georgia. The book talked about how one women brought over one hundred different kids with all different ethnicities together through their love of soccer. Our class went and visited the school that students were required to attend and saw how much of an impact on person made in all these children's lives.

LaGrange College may be in the middle of a small "beat-up" town in Georgia, but LaGrange College is teaching all their students how just one person can make a huge impact. If that isn't something to celebrate and embrace, then I don't know what is.