Hello and Goodbye to an Old Friend of Mine

Negative feelings come and go...

1432

We sometimes struggle with what we call depression. Depression is a heavy topic for a lot of people, because it is also something they do not want to admit. We don’t want to admit that we are struggling or that we are having a bad day. As people, we have a desire to not be looked down upon by others. Depression is one of those things that can cause to feel as if we are being looked down upon.

I want to start off by saying depression is very real. The numbing sensation you get when you have a bunch of things due next week is “real.” That feeling of wanting to stay in when your friends are out partying is “real.” There is no “fakeness” when it comes to depression. It is a very genuine, real emotion that we get.

Depression is like someone asking me for money. It never stops asking me to be with them. If depression was a person, it would be someone with a lot of trust issues and trouble forming a connection with others. Unfortunately, the latter is also what Depression infects us with, once it decides to be our “friend”

As someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety for a long time, I like to think of Depression as an unwelcome visitor. Someone that keeps knocking on our door, even when we don’t want to let them in. Depression is one of those people who are very annoying and will do anything to get “their way.” What I noticed most about depression is that it is stubborn and headstrong in trying to make me feel bad about myself or my situation.

It is easy to compare depression to a small insect that is buzzing in our ear. Even if we try to shoo away the insect, it will try its best to stay there and annoy us as much as it can. If I were to describe depression in one word, I would say it’s “indignant”. There are so many ways in which depression tries to trigger our well being into something of its own.

Depression can manifest itself in so many ways in our lives. From the toxic people we surround ourselves with to that one nemesis we have had since high school. It also can take form in so many different ways. When we feel the slightest bit bad about ourselves from a negative comment or an insecurity that comes up on our minds.