Giving Thanks

Giving Thanks

A thank-you note for all of life's blessings.

5
Giving Thanks
Sarah Kinder

‘Tis the season to be thankful. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought it was only appropriate that I take the time to list the things that I have to be thankful for. Of course there are many more than just these, but it would be impossible to count all of my blessings. I have so much to give thanks for, and I want to recognize that. I don’t want to take anything for granted, from the smallest of blessings to the biggest. So, without further ado, here are 50 things that I am thankful for this holiday season (in no particular order)…

• Friends who get me
  • A family who brings constant joy into my life
  • Pretty skies
  • Good books
  • Flowers
  • Fits of loud laughter
  • Songs that have memories attached to them
  • A full stomach after a good meal
  • New friendships
  • Deep, meaningful conversations
  • Times when everyone is smiling
  • Comfy couches
  • Unexpected warm weather
  • Ben & Jerry’s ice cream
  • Friends who lead me to Jesus
  • Warm hugs
  • Funny YouTube videos/Vines (RIP)
  • Sappy things that make me cry
  • Neat notes
  • The sunshine
  • Clean sheets
  • Sweaters that feel like blankets
  • Art
  • Genuine compliments
  • Reunions
  • Movies that get me excited
  • Views that take my breath away
  • Weekends
  • Finding something I lost
  • Life lessons
  • Making someone laugh
  • Getting tagged in funny Instagrams
  • Hot showers
  • Fuzzy socks
  • Fresh fruit
  • Songs that I can sing along to
  • Moments that leave me speechless
  • Selfless acts of kindness
  • Reminiscing
  • Brick Street’s sweet potato cake
  • Things that challenge me
  • Sweet surprises
  • Ice cold water
  • The power of prayer
  • Conversations that don’t need words
  • Articles and quotes that say the things I needed to hear
  • Soft puppies
  • Comfortable silence
  • Road trips
  • A God that is way too good to me

I can’t help but smile when I think about the joys and blessings that I’ve been so graciously given. I want to do more than just take a picture of my food and call myself #blessed. I want to really recognize God’s goodness and the goodness of the people He’s put in my life. Per usual, I find that Shauna Niequist speaks some real truth when she says “I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift” (Cold Tangerines). That’s it. That’s how I want to live my life, as one giant thank-you note, jump for joy, and breathless bear hug.

I’m so glad we’re entering a season that encourages us to be thankful. I can’t wait to sit around a table full of good food surrounded by the people that I love the most. Here’s to a happy Thanksgiving, and here’s to carrying that thankfulness with us after waking up from the turkey coma and going back to the real world, ingraining gratefulness into our everyday.