Be Thankful Everyday, Not Just The Holidays

Giving thanks is not a one time thing

437

As the holidays come to a close and the new year approaches, we are reminded each day of how wonderful this time of year is -- the lights, family and end of semester. We sit down with friends and loved ones, thankful we get to spend time with one another. We see this thankfulness during Thanksgiving and Christmas, but this holiday season only happens once a year. Instead of waiting for a holiday to remind you how fortunate you are, be thankful every day.

The idea of Thanksgiving is ironic because as we give thanks one day, the next day we wake up at 4 a.m. to sit outside a store waiting to take whatever is in sight to prove our love to family and friends. In this ironic animalistic style of purchase power, we somehow manage to forget what we previously celebrated the day before. Instead we use material possessions to determine our love for each other. Fore some reason saying 'I love you' is not as effective as buying someone a new car or television.

During Thanksgiving maybe you were with family or friends and when your mom asked you what you are thankful for, you coughed up an answer in a way that was similar to writing an essay in one day -- bullshit. You stated how thankful you were to be with family and that you get to enjoy a delicious meal, hoping that answer would suffice. But no matter how cheesy, you probably meant it because subliminally you know it's true. This simple dinner to you, may be a tremendous deal to someone who does not experience the joy of eating with loved ones every day, or with anyone for that matter.

So why then do we only acknowledge our highest of gratitude one day of the year? To be thankful is not a one time thing, we are thankful every day and should remember that. You are how you are because of the people around you. Choosing to openly acknowledge graces on Turkey Day is not gonna cut it. Look around and really think of why you are thankful, and no more bullshit.

There are people out there that would kill to live your worst day, and I guarantee you are one of them. We as people will never be satisfied until we have more than the person next to us. But remember to praise what you already have. Deciding that your presents represent how much people love you is ludicrous. Parents show you how much they love you each day. They provide food for you, support your decisions and laugh with you. The moments when they say they are happy you are home, tend to be brushed off, but seeing their kids again means the world.

Not very person is fortunate enough to even have loved ones in their lives. For individuals who live on the street, fight for this country, live others in poorer areas, or are in unsafe home environments, just being surrounded by warmth and people who care, is a gift in itself.

Be grateful for the small things that don't seem to matter. The people in your life who push you and help you through the hard times and clebrate with you during the happy times. The people you lost and the friendships you gained. Remember don't be said that it's over, be glad that it happened. Be grateful for every person who is still in your life and remind yourself why they are still there. Lastly, be grateful for yourself. Each day you learn something new and are growing. You are constantly impacting someone around you. You are amazing. Be grateful for who you are now and what you will become in the future.

I am grateful for every friend I have made, every person I have made genuinely smile, and who has made me smile. I am grateful for everything my parents have done for me so I can be where I am today. Almost everything I am truly grateful for, when I really think about it, is not an object, it's a feeling or person. Looking around and seeing who is still in my life is as great of a present as any. I don't smile when I think of things because I know I can live without them, but I can't live without the people in my life who have given me what I have today.

Being thankful for someone one day of the year is an understatement. Show your thanks every day.

The holiday season is about being with family and being happy. If you are excited for the presents, that is all part of the season, but remember to be grateful you get to spend it with those who give them to you. Be thankful for those who make you smile during the holidays and throughout the whole year.