Healthy snacks for busy college students
food

10 Healthy Snack Ideas For A Busy College Student

Finding time to eat healthy is hard during college so check out these easy snack options to get you through your day!

250

College students are probably one of the busiest people in the world. We have class, jobs, studying, sports, clubs, and trying to find time to hang out with friends and family. One thing I've noticed about college life is it can be hard to find time to eat. And when I do find time to eat, I go for the easiest, not the healthiest. So here's a list of healthy snacks to keep you going throughout the day.

1. Carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower and peppers.

c1.staticflickr.com

These veggies are easy to put in a zip lock bag and take with you. Their perfect for walking to class or going to work. You can also dip them in ranch, blue cheese, peanut butter or whatever other dipping condiment you'd like.

2. Nuts.

upload.wikimedia.org

There are a wide variety of nuts you could choose from. Different nuts can help with a variety of problems. For example, cashews are an anti-inflammatory and almonds are high in protein. Nuts come in all different kinds of flavors. You can get them salted, honey roasted, sriracha flavored, or almost any other flavor too.

3. Veggie chips or straws.

c1.staticflickr.com

Veggie chips are probably one of my favorite snacks! They are low in calories, no trans fat, and low sugar. I have traded my love for other chips for veggie chips. They also don't leave a heavy residue on your fingers so they are perfect for studying!

4. Apples, bananas, peaches, berries, & pomegranates.

c1.staticflickr.com

Fruit is a good snack if you are craving something sweet. Almost all fruit is healthy for you. Some of my favorite on the go fruits are apples, bananas, peaches, berries, and pomegranates. Many of these fruits are low calorie and are a source for vitamins and antioxidants.

5. Milk shakes or protein shakes.

c2.staticflickr.com

Shakes can be a good meal replacement if you need one. You can fill them up with fruits, oats, and chocolate syrup if you want to make it sweet. There is a huge variety of what you can put in your shake. In my shakes, I usually put some protein powder, fruits, and maybe some strawberry syrup.

6. Yogurt.

c1.staticflickr.com

If you want a snack high in protein and calcium, yogurt is the way to go. It's a healthy and tasty snack. Although, not all yogurt is healthy. You want to stay away with the ones with additives and sugars.

7. Cheese.

upload.wikimedia.org

Cheese holds many good nutrients like protein, calcium, vitamins, zinc, and phosphorus. Cheese is a great way to get calcium if you don't like milk or yogurt. Cheese is low calorie, most have no carbs, and sugar free. My favorite way to snack on cheese is cut into cubes or string cheese.

8. Edamame.

c1.staticflickr.com

What is edamame? Many people don't know! It's a soybean and is used to make a wide variety of things such as tofu and soy protein. Edamame contains a lot of protein, super high in vitamins and minerals, and it's gluten free. You can roast them, cook them in foods, or steam them. Whatever you do, DON'T eat them raw because they are poisonous when raw.

9. Trail Mix.

c1.staticflickr.com

What better way to have a variety of food! Trail mix can be a variety of nuts, dried fruit, or even M&Ms. You can either pick up a bag at the store or my favorite is to make my own. One recipe I use is cashews, peanuts, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, and banana chips. You can make them a variety of ways so you'll never get tired of them.

10. Hummus.

upload.wikimedia.org

Hummus is something I just recently started eating. It's a plant based spread/topping that is high in protein, helps with digestion, great source of minerals and vitamins, and a great energy booster. It is usually made of chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, salt, and tahini (ground up sesame seeds).