Fun Apps for Your Overall Health

How To Motivate A Couch Potato To Be Healthy

Here are four enjoyable apps to stay in shape.

50
Maddy McKeever

I am a self-proclaimed couch potato. Whenever questionnaires ask my activity level, I say sedentary. Not only that, but I am a bonafide snack lover, and can easily eat a whole bag of microwave popcorn myself in one sitting. However, I know I need to still stay healthy. So, I've been looking for some apps that make staying in shape and being the best you possible not only not miserable, but actually enjoyable.

1. Plant Nanny - Water Reminder

Maddy McKeever

This app allows you to input your weight and activity level to estimate how much water you should be drinking on a daily basis. Did you know you are supposed to drink approximately your weight in ml of water every day? It gives the options to save multiple drinks in either ml or oz. The apps also has the option to set up reminder notifications for keeping hydrated.

Here's the fun part: When you drink something, that goes toward watering plants in your garden, evolving them, and growing new plants. You can choose between a variety of plants, pots, backgrounds and more.

2. Walkr: Fitness Space Adventure

Maddy McKeever

This app is a pedometer — aka a step tracker. It tracks how many steps you take throughout the day and records how many calories you burn by doing that. The app runs in the background of your phone even when closed to keep track for you.

Here's the fun part: All of your steps get turned into energy that you use to unlock weird planets in the universe. The more you walk, the more planets, resources and species you unlock as well. This is not only a tracker, but a fun idle game to play in the background — jumping between your planets and delivering packages between them for more points to spend later.

3. Zombies, Run!

If you want to be motivated to run, most people put something on in the background to listen to. Some people listen to music, some to audiobooks, and now you can listen to this app. It gives you the option to either run at a steady pace, or run intervals of slow to fast and back to workout. There is also a version of the app specifically to help you train for 5k marathons.

Here's the fun part: This app puts you into the world of a zombie apocalypse. Listen to the sounds of zombies behind you as you run from them to survive. Run faster the closer the zombie sounds get to you to escape them. Train yourself to be a movie or book hero and gain the stamina to survive all your quests.

Note: I've noticed it can trigger anxiety for some people, so take that into account when using it.

4. Level Up Life

Maddy McKeever

New Years' resolutions can be hard to think of, let alone to keep track of and complete. This app gives you goals to get you out of the house, doing productive things, and keeping you healthy. You can post and track all of your accomplishments through the app, and unlock even more goals to complete once you finish the lower level tasks.

Here's the fun part: Like in tabletop board games such as Dungeons & Dragons, you gain experience points in certain stats depending on what kind of task you complete. You can slowly level up your character and keep track of your skill chart through the app. As you level up, you unlock more and more interesting activities to keep you motivated and excited to switch up your daily routine. Let your campaign of this year begin.

These are four apps that I have found that are making me happier and healthier. They give me reminders to keep track of them so I don't forget, and they help me continue to be the best me I can be.

I still will choose a bag of popcorn over running most days, but at least I will remember to stay hydrated during a busy day at work. Little efforts add up to big accomplishments in the long run.