Head Over Heels For Hawaii

Head Over Heels For Hawaii

How the Hawaiian Islands' serene way of life becomes contagious

21
Head Over Heels For Hawaii
Islands.com

People often think of Hawaii as the perfect vacation destination. There is some kind of magic there that relaxes you, bringing you into a level of calm that you didn't know existed. Once you step off of the plane and feel the warmth from the sun and the strong plumeria scent, the island takes over. I have visited three of the Hawaiian islands, the most recent being Maui. This trip in particular I began to notice how relaxed and rested I felt in a matter of days; one reason being the amount of sleep I was getting. I slept for 8-9 hours a night and spent most of my days napping on the beach. As soon as I let my mind settle down and pushed all of my stressful thoughts to the side, I noticed that I felt more refreshed.

Everyone who lives on the island has a certain calmness and happiness to them. They truly enjoy life and feel blessed to live in a place so beautiful. I noticed that almost everyone who passed me greeted me with "Aloha", even if it was just in passing. It made me think how nice it is to acknowledge each other with a friendly smile or hello.

Forcing myself to unwind and allow myself to have nothing to do helped me achieve some much needed R&R. I think all of us get caught up in life and feel like every minute needs to be filled with something. Being in Maui, where there is less chaos, noise, and stress around you, makes such a difference. I have never felt more at peace with myself and with the world around me than I do in Hawaii.

Exploring the island, listening to the local songs, and looking at views I never thought existed, all made me see a larger picture. I felt a part of something bigger than myself. I got lost looking at the endless ocean in front of me and listening to the waves crash against the rocks. I became lost in the serenity, forgetting all of my worries. I'm not saying the grass is always greener on the other side, because everyone has stress, fears, and obligations in life. There is something to be said about living a simple life though, and being on the island made me put things in to perspective. Everywhere I go I try to gain a new outlook on life and help it shape the way I live.