31 Roommates And 4 Years Later, This Is What I've Learned About Living With Other Humans

From New Jersey to Mississippi to Italy and everywhere in between.

282
Madison Cole

My very first day of college I walked into an all women's dorm and met my roommate. We both grew up in Indiana and it was super easy to relate. She was chill, easy going, and very low maintenance. However, throughout my years of college, I quickly learned that not all roommates are going to be this way.

I spent my second semester at Disney World pursuing the Disney College Program. My first couple months I was lucky enough to live with girls from all over the United States including New Jersey, Philadelphia, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Wisconsin. I learned about their hometowns while also hearing many different accents.

Sadly things did not work out in this apartment so I ended up moving half-way through the program.

I found out I would be living with four international girls and felt like the luckiest girl in the world. I learned about Italian and German cultures from my amazing European roommates. I quickly learned how healthy European women live with their diets and was very inspired to live more health consciously during this time. I can not deny how much fun I had meeting Italian boys as well... but that's just one tiny perk.

After my college program was over I went back to live with three other girls I had chosen beforehand. This was a pretty good situation as we all knew each other, but there was a division when it came to cleanliness. After missing Disney immensely I went back for the second semester, this time to Disneyland in California.

My roommates were mainly from the west coast states of Oregon, California, and Arizona. I did eventually share a room with a girl from North Carolina. We were all very busy working so there really never were any issues. I learned so much about California and met girls to go on amazing touristry trips.

Then I transferred to Indiana University. Here at IU, I started with two other roommates. We were all from Indiana and transfer students. This was one of the most fun experiences as we always had friends over, ordered pizza, and drank wine. I loved every moment.

My next group of IU roommates was a random jumble of girls including two girls from Indy, an army brat, a before local, and a girl from China. These girls were a random jumble but the experience was great because we learned so much from our differences. Some of us were clean, others messy... needless to say, all things eventually were talked about. These memories were some of my most precious such as crying over Trump winning over a bottle of wine on my 21st birthday.

Lastly are this past year's roommates. These girls were from the Chicago and Indy area, pretty typical for IU. They were by far the cleanest roommates I have ever had. This situation was pretty good until a building smoke issue, so I then moved.

Right now I have three other roommates that are each from completely different backgrounds. I have one roommate from Dubai, another from NYC, and then a Fischers/Indy roomie. These girls could not be any more different but the dynamic is great.