Having a Big Heart

Having a Big Heart

"Having a soft heart in a cruel world is courage, not weakness." -Katherine Henson

31
Having a Big Heart

There use to be times when I was upset and blame on myself for "caring too much" about people. I thought maybe I was overly sensitive and I should ease down my emotions and change my attitude towards it. Sometimes the situation was exaggerated where I was in the wrong, but most of the time I was actually right to feel everything that I did. I cannot say all those times I acted rationally out of those emotions, but I had every single right to feel the way I did; I am only human.

I use to think one of my biggest flaws was having a big heart. I hated how much pain I would receive from people I cared about most that did not care for me; yet, I still persevered to stay by their side no matter what they threw at me. I cannot describe how many times I have cried over people that were never worth it. This happened in both friendships and relationships.

Sometimes I stayed with someone much longer than necessary. I lost myself plenty of times. I would be wrapped around a person's finger to be by their side at any moment. I thought I was never going to learn or I kept meeting the wrong people where I would end up in these situations over and over again. Honestly, there was a time I grew depressed because I was ashamed for the way I was and the way I felt for people.

Now I have finally learned though. The weakness I thought I had is actually one of my greatest strengths. It is not wrong to care about people, but one thing there to learn is to not be with people who keep tearing you apart until you have nothing left of yourself. Sometimes you need to let go even if you feel that it is wrong. It is difficult, I know. Sometimes it felt that cutting a person off hurt more to myself than to them, but the fact is they lost you, the most precious angel and best friend looking over them in their lives.

You need to keep yourself sane and especially not worry about others that do not worry about you. It is not fair for you to be treated this way. Do not try to talk to someone who ignores you each and every time you just want to reach out to them either. You are worth a billion times more than to be treated like that. Unfortunately, I have made all these mistakes more than once and I know better now. Some times it took longer than others to heal. Quite honestly, I am healing right now. It is very difficult to get through and overlook that still burns in the back of my mind.

Many people tell me that I have a big heart and they admire me for it. Generally, they are the ones who will not go out of their way to help others because it is just not in their nature to even if they genuinely want to and that is okay.