Have You Recently Seen a Row of Stars Drifting Across the Sky at Night?

If you have, don't be alarmed. Listen to my story and learn about what you're really seeing.

32

The other night I'd been working on schoolwork inside at my home in New Jersey, at around 9:30p.m., when I heard my sister call for my mom in a terrified tone. "Mom! Come outside, quick, I need you to come outside!"

Worried of what could be threatening her daughter, and my sister, my mom and I both rushed outside to see her looking up at the night sky.

"Why are those stars moving?!" she exclaimed as I looked for phenomenon in the sky.

I looked up and saw a row of what seemed to be stars gliding through the atmosphere; as we all watched it drift behind the tree line, we began questioning what we'd just observed.

We decided to search online for answers when we stumbled upon an article published by KMOV4 on Apr 28,2020 titled 'See a string of lights in the sky? It was probably SpaceX's 'Starlink' satellites.'

In the article written by KMOV (Meredith Corporation), it's stated that

"While much of the world economy stands still, SpaceX is running full speed ahead."

"Elon Musks space venture launched another batch of its Internet-beaming satellites into Earth's orbit Wednesday, continuing the company's push to create a multibillion-dollar telecom business."

We were relieved to see that we weren't being invaded by aliens, and personally I was surprised to have seen a SpaceX project in the sky with my own eyes!

It also gave me insight on what the future could be like.

The articles states that "SpaceX has said the satellites will allow it to beam Internet directly to terminals that consumers will set up at their homes or offices. Service is expected to roll out in the United States and Canada this year, CEO Elon Musk has said. The company plans to eventually grow its constellation to more than 40,000 satellites, blanketing the entire planet in cheap, high-speed Internet connectivity."

The high-speed internet connectivity that will be made available by this project will come in handy, especially with coronavirus quarantines still playing out.

With intentions for the constellation to reach over 40,000 satellites, it's likely that there will be more satellite sightings, so if you see what seems to be a line of stars drifting across the sky, don't panic! You're probably just looking at one of the new SpaceX satellites.