Have a STEM Major? Here Are Some Essential Programming Tips

Start You Coding Journey One Step at a Time

22
geralt/ Pixabay

Aspiring coders can lay a firm foundation in programming by following a few essential tips.

When you're first learning to code, you may have more questions than answers. No worries. With persistence and focus, you'll get there.

There's no need to concern yourself with the difficulty of learning code. A few helpful hints can help you put the process into perspective.

The following are a few tips for learning to code.

1. Plan Your Destination

Most fledgling coders begin their programming journey by asking themselves which language they should learn. However, this isn't necessarily the best place to start. What's more important is your objective for learning in the first place.

• Do you want to land a programming job?
  • Are you interested in freelancing?
  • Do you want to start your own company?
  • Do you want to build websites?
  • Do you want to build apps?

These and other questions may inform your decision-making process. If you know where you're trying to go, you'll have a better idea of where to start.

The important thing is to start somewhere. Once you learn how to program in one language, picking up others comes naturally.

2. Sign up for Boot Camp!

Coding boot camp is a fast track for learning how to program. However, not everyone can get into one.

Nevertheless, it's worth the effort to try if you want to get a fast start on learning to code. You'll have to figure out how to stand out among a sea of candidates – which will serve as good practice for your future job search.

You must show boot camp officials how you'll contribute to the technical community, especially if you're new to programming. If you make it, you'll gain access to a community of programming peers that will offer a lifetime of benefits.

3. Don't Stop at the Basics

Don't just learn the basics of coding. Explore your curiosity.

Once you've learned some fundamentals, dive into the deep end of the coding pool. You can learn at your convenience, for example, by taking online courses through a platform such as Udemy.

Udemy Node.js courses are an excellent way to learn backend or full stack development. Also, the site's Angular programming classes are a great way to learn how to work with a relatively new – and increasingly popular – front end web application framework.

4. Pace Yourself, It's Not a Race

Many online tech gurus promise that you can become a programmer and land a high-paying job in 3 to 6 months, and you can – sort of. This scenario is an extreme example of success and is typically a ploy to compel viewers or readers to take a desired action, such as buying a course or simply watching and upvoting a video presentation.

Most people don't have the time to devote to learning how to code that fast. Also, you'd probably need to attend a coding boot camp to make it happen. Boot camp can cost upwards of $10,000 or more and move at a lightning-fast pace.

If you're one of the lucky few for whom these issues aren't the problem, go for it. You may succeed. However, there are very few people who can pull this off successfully.

5. Learning Coding Is Different for Everyone

It's human nature to compare yourself to others when trying something new. How else can you judge if you're doing things right? However, this can prove discouraging when you're trying to learn how to code.

Today, people put their best foot forward on social media – no matter what the message. However, much of what you see on social media is fictional.

No one on social media is going to tell you when they fail. You shouldn't hold yourself up to these impossible standards.

Instead, focus on what you need to do to learn how to code. By not worrying about keeping up with other people's accomplishments, you can better focus on improving your programming skills.

6. Persistence Is the Key

Make coding a habit. If you can, practice every day.

You'll have a lot to learn. Repetition will help you accomplish your goals.

There is no precise method for developing your coding habits. Nevertheless, the more you code, the better you'll get. Also, by practicing every day, you won't forget essential concepts.

Never Stop Learning!

Finally, it's essential to recognize that you must commit to continuous learning if you want to work as a professional programmer.

In the beginning, you may feel overwhelmed by all the things that you need to learn. There are hundreds of things that you can learn about programming. However, once you get started, that feeling will subside.

Eventually, you'll become more comfortable with learning new things. What's important is to get going and not to lose momentum.

One thing's for sure. You'll never get bored should you choose to accept the challenge of learning to code. Technology is an ever-evolving field. There's always something new and exciting on the horizon.