I Hate Running So I'm Doing Disney's Princess Half Marathon

I am going to prove to myself I can do anything if I put my mind to it!

24
Blogspot

I never enjoyed running. In gym class, I would be the kid that got screamed at to get up and move because I'd always sit out while we were supposed to be taking the pacers test. Don't get me wrong, I am a generally healthy person and go to the gym to work out, but I never actually liked to run (mainly because I look like a duck when I do it, but that's a whole other story).

Ironically, my sister and I always envied the marathon runners in Disney Parks. We would look up stories when we were little and read recaps and reviews of everyone's experiences, saying one day we will be like these people and run a race. I always thought it'd be a dream that we'd never actually achieve. Last year, we decided to push ourselves to do something we don't necessarily like to do and achieve something greater. We bought our tickets to the Disney Princess Half Marathon and we are running 13.1 miles in Walt Disney World. If only I could go back and tell my high school gym teacher... No doubt he'd be surprised.

So how does a person that barely ran to begin with train for a half marathon? A lot of determination and dedication. I had a lot of people tell me in the past that I could never run or that I looked funny running, and I used that for motivation in my training. I started my training right when I bought the ticket so I'd be prepared before the actual six-month training I'd do specifically for the marathon.

These past few weeks have been my slacking period, like many other participants in the community. I can sit here and blame the holidays or how busy I've been with work, but ultimately it's because I'm slacking off and need motivation to get back into it. To help my fellow runners looking for the support and motivation to get through their training, here are some things that helped me get back on track!

Make a running log or planner.

I am a planning person. Anyone that knows me knows this. I like to write down my training schedule and log my miles each day in a planner, but you can also do this in a binder and journal your progress. I feel more accomplished at the end of the day when I complete my miles and check it off in my planner.

Motivation boards are the best.

If you are more of a visual person, make a motivation board! Simply grab a cork board or poster board and print out pictures or quotes that motivate you. Make a collage and hang it somewhere you can see it every day. Add as much as you'd like until your training is complete.

Get someone close to push you and support you.

It's good to have friends that will stop your laziness in its tracks. Ask a family member or close friend to motivate you and push you to train, even though you want to take a three-hour nap instead.

Keep your eye on the prize.

Think about that medal. Think about that finish line. Those are your end goals, and keep them in mind as you train. Push yourself like you never have before and fight until the end of that race. Believe in yourself and you can achieve anything!