My Top 5 Actors in the Harry Potter Films

And it's not just because I love their book counterparts.

103

If you asked me to choose my favorite book or movie or series, my answer would be immediate – "Harry Potter." I grew up with the "Harry Potter" series, and learned from it. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and all the other characters were as much my friends and family as the people in this world. Ask me about my favorite actors or actresses, and the answer is the same – "Harry Potter." They all come from "Harry Potter." Not only did the "Harry Potter" series have some of the most amazing characters, but it had the most amazing actors and actresses playing them in the movies as well. I commend them not just for their talent, but for who they are as people, and here is why:

Emma Watson as Hermione Granger

Hermione Granger is my favorite female character in the world. She is smart and brave, nerdy and beautiful, compassionate and strong. She embodies someone who was born into a group considered lower than others in her society, yet works just as hard to make themselves equal. She grew up with best friends who were the opposite gender, and managed to make it through relationship drama and her teenage years with her dignity still intact, which is more than I can say for many people I know.

As fierce and badass as Hermione Granger is, Emma Watson is even more of my hero. Many celebrities thrust into the limelight at a young age turn to drugs, sex, or other antics when they get older, but not Emma. Emma Watson continued her education after "Harry Potter," studying at Brown and Oxford Universities while simultaneously maintaining both modeling and acting careers. Even I find it difficult to balance working full time and going to college, and I have nowhere near as many commitments and responsibilities as Emma Watson did, yet she managed to pull through. I think everyone can learn from that dedication.

But she did not stop there! Emma is currently working with the United Nations promoting women's rights and education, even being the front face for the campaign HeForShe. Emma Watson made my life (and I’m sure the lives of many others) better by being in "Harry Potter" and bringing Hermione Granger to life, but she continued on the path to help make the lives of people around the world better as well.

Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood

Luna Lovegood is the epitome of someone who is bullied and picked on, but who never lets it damper their spirits. Luna was an eccentric Ravenclaw who was constantly ignored and picked on by other students for believing in uncommon or unproven things. Despite the bullying, Luna always stayed true to herself, not apologizing for any of her quirks and constantly supported her friends. The example that Luna set can be taken to heart by any child struggling with bullying or self-acceptance. Luna was a role model for her actress Evanna Lynch! Evanna Lynch is just as strong of a woman as her character is, and can be considered a role model for that as well. Evanna struggled with an eating disorder when she was in her early teens, and was hospitalized because of it.

The character Luna from Harry Potter helped her accept her own body and mind, and when she auditioned for the role the directors were astonished, saying she brought Luna to life perfectly. Since her "Harry Potter" days, Evanna has been promoting healthy self-esteem and body image in young girls; she even wrote an essay about it titled “Why the Body Bind is My Nightmare.” Evanna Lynch is an example in her own life to the 30 million people struggling with eating disorders, and in her character to the more than 25% of students struggling with bullying. Eating disorders and bullying are plaguing our youth, and for most of them, Evanna can offer inspiration and guidance.

Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall

Professor McGonagall. What is there to say about Professor McGonagall? Professor McGonagall is the best maternal figure I have ever had the pleasure to read about. She has the perfect blend of motherly and sassy qualities. She will go to bat for anything she believes in, from her students to her life. If there were more teachers out there like Professor McGonagall, there would be more motivated students who would in turn be more successful and go on to teach more motivated students. Basically, McGonagall has the ability to make the world a better place. Maggie Smith has that same sweet and sassy blend. She is an incredible actress with two Academy Awards, five BAFTA Awards, three Emmy Awards, three Golden Globes, four Screen Actors Guild Awards and a Tony Award. She has spent so much time with her work in such a pure and honest way that there is no doubt in my mind that she will be remembered as one of the best actresses of all time. Not only that, but Maggie Smith has battled disease throughout her career, including Graves' Disease – which required radiotherapy and optical surgery – and breast cancer.

Maggie never let illness slow her down, even using a wheelchair on the set of "Harry Potter" because she didn’t want to disappoint her fans. That sort of dedication, endurance and passion for the things that she loves makes Maggie one of the most inspiring adult actresses ever.

Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter

There has been a lot of backlash against Harry for being rude or self-absorbed, but I don’t buy it. Harry Potter is the hero of the series, the star, the focus. Sure, he is definitely not perfect, but that is why I think he is such a great character. He feels the same emotions that a normal person would – guilt, love, happiness, regret, confusion. He tries to figure out what is right from what is wrong, and most of us spend our entire lives doing that. Harry will always be my first love, and one of my truest friends, despite the criticisms of others. Daniel Radcliffe, in my opinion, was the perfect person to play Harry, because he is also so relatable. Dan is someone I could imagine being friends with, because he just does his own thing – he wants to be on Broadway, so he does it. He wants to give to charity, so he does it. And my personal favorite, he wants to mess with paparazzi, so he does it.

Daniel Radcliffe is also one of the few celebs, or people in general, who just keeps their opinions to themselves; while he does not go around blatantly promoting his Atheism or the Labor Party, he is not shy about them when asked, and does not bend his answers to fit the desires of the people listening. Some people I know should take note of that. But when something is important to him, like speaking out against homophobia, Daniel is not afraid to go for it in a modest way. He totally does his own thing and minds his own business, and I respect him for that so much.

Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange

I absolutely love Bellatrix Lestrange – as far as bad guys, or bad women, she tops the list! Bellatrix is everything that an evil villain should be, right down to the way she walks. A lot of villains come with a backstory, something to make them more likable and relatable. It is true that people in general are not inherently good or evil, and that those who live by an immoral code have something in their past that made them that way, but I find it a little frustrating because some people are just evil, like Bellatrix! She does not need that soft and compassionate back story; her wickedness is superb. She is a ruthless torturer and murderer, even responsible for the murder of her own cousin, and is a rare find in any form of media. Helena Bonham Carter was the perfect choice for Bellatrix because she, too, is unique.

Her style, her form of acting, all of it is special to her and done in an adventurous if not even slightly eccentric way. Helena has had an extensive acting background (primarily in Tim Burton films), and each time she brings her own perspective to the film. She is more than an actress; she is a strong and fierce woman, not afraid to express her own individuality. From her swimsuit line Pantaloonies to her honesty about her life with her children and old boyfriend Tim Burton, Helena has always been the kind of person I could see myself being friends with.

Are there any other Harry Potter actors you loved? Or maybe a few you didn't? Let me know in the comments!