Over the years, I would like to thank two role models.

Dad, William, Thanks for being great role models

As Father's Day approaches this upcoming weekend, I just want to thank both my Dad, and my Step-Dad for being two people I can always look up to.

91

By the time this article gets published, Father's Day will be here already this upcoming Sunday, June 17th. Crazy, it's already June. Next holiday? 4th of July, my favorite.

This article is about giving thanks for those who do so much for you, without you even realizing it. Shown above is the first trip my Dad trusted me to fly home from, a five hour flight, with two connection destinations.

As much as my Dad and I don't always see eye to eye, he is still someone I look to for more advice, now more than ever. Just last summer, I was working on Father's Day, so I missed out on our yearly festivities together. So this summer, although I have a Calculus Exam and Orgo Quiz the following week, I am determined to make this Father's Day better than the last. Get his favorite food, a Nike shirt (because he has been begging for one), and watch his favorite movie series with him (Lonesome Dove), although I've only seen it like eight million times throughout my childhood.

This article isn't about what I am planning to do for my Dad, but in how many ways I take him for granted, for which I deeply apologize for over the years. My Dad taught me the importance of so many things, especially because him and my Mom both work so hard to give me the best life possible. To be kind, never snobby. To be grateful for what I am given, because others may not have those opportunities. To love, rather than hate. And so many more.

I am prone to spending a lot of money on stuff I don't really need, thus, why I ask my parents for money instead of using my own. My Dad, as much as I sometimes see it as a pain, cuts me off, making me pay for my own bills. In college, I pay insurance, electricity, groceries, gas, and any other extra stuff I may want while my parents cover rent and sorority dues, but the point to take away is that he is teaching me more and more adult responsibilities. That's the deal between my parents and I, no job (except during summer) to focus on my classes and dream of going to medical school. A topic both he and my Mom agree on.

I am totally OCD about how I want to go about things, just my like my Dad. Grocery store lists? Organized by frozen foods, produce, deli, etc...yeah, I know, I'm annoying. I like to plan things and make sure everything is in order. First airplane ride? Super cool...Wyoming was my first trip that required us to fly. I was scared as can be, yeah, fear of heights too. But, my Dad calmed me down and said I would be perfectly okay. Now, I'm even allowed to fly alone, something I tend to do on a semi-regular basis.

I think the most important thing I take away from my Dad and I's relationship, is that he taught me how to protect myself. At a young age, he taught me how cautious to around an armed weapon, but how to properly use one as well. How to run bases, while he coached my brother in baseball, even if I may have run them backwards (give me a break I was like 5). How to change a flat tire or wash a car properly. My Dad, is very street smart, knows how to get around places, and has introduced me hundreds of people that I may need for resources one day. He knows how to get things done, in a timely and orderly manner. He is the one I go to for advice or when I need to have a serious conversation. And when I think about it, we are far more similar than what I ever would have thought. I know I like to talk back sometimes, but hey, I'm a nineteen year old girl, I'm just running my course. You worked hard to get where you are now Dad, I hope that I can just make you the proud father you always wanted to be.

Dad, thank you for putting me through college when you worked three jobs to afford an education. Thank you for putting food on the table, taking me on vacations, and giving me the best life possible.

My Step-Dad taught me that no matter what, always think about the positives in life. With divorced parents, it's hard to really feel comfortable with having a new family to live with. My Step-Dad made me feel comfortable living in a new home, with him, my Mom, and my new brothers (although they were really annoying, sorry, love you guys). Anytime I was feeling down, he and my Mom made sure that I would laugh and speak about whatever is troubling me. He taught me to speak my mind and never be afraid to think outside the box. To laugh, and to love unconditionally, just the way he does with my Mom, for which I can see she is the happiest she has ever been.

So when I think about how both of these two men have influenced me in my life, I can see how much of a better person, a better woman, I have become. I take the heartfelt advice, the serious talk, the moments of which I look towards for experience in life, provided by Dad and the relaxed, live in the moment attitude, there for whenever I have a question by my step-dad, combine them together and I have all the support I could ever want in my life.

Overall, I want to say you two are the best Dad and Step-Dad I could ever have, for which I could never be more thankful for. Love you both! Happy Father's Day!