Happiness: A Work In Progress

Happiness: A Work In Progress

The world is consistently changing. So are you.
20

"I feel the world has a way of choosing the worst days to knock us down and drag us out." - This Wild Life, "No More Bad Days"

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

As we are approaching Thanksgiving break and soon enough the closing of the first semester, I can tell that the tension on campus has reached a new high. It's not hard to see that people are much more stressed out, depressed, and overall being affected by the school work that is being thrusted upon them.

With all of that being said, one can see how easy it is to lose themselves in the whole hustle and bustle of what's going on around them. Unfortunately, one's happiness can also be forgotten in the mess.

This is a message to every student who feels as though they aren't able to be joyful during this time of year. Whether it be because of recent events in politics, family life, school, or anything else... please know that you are not what ails you. No matter what you are told, you are not always in control of how you're feeling. With that being said, your state of mind and your mental health is still important. You are loved. You are wanted.

I know this may sound as cliché as can be, however during times of struggle, it is important to take care of oneself. Now more than ever. Too many people have suffered greatly from the stress and mental strain of college and/or home life. Now is the time to reach out and show love to people who need it.

It is okay to be full of life one day and depressed the next. You do not need a reason for this occurrence. Plenty of people suffer from mental illness, and that's not in their control. The same goes for you. If you are not suffering from any sort of mental illness, it is still possible that you will feel depressed over events, or over nothing at all. That is okay. You must only recognize your emotions for what they are and push forward. Happiness is not a stagnant feeling. Life will always be a roller coaster, with your emotions as the riders. It's important to remember that even if you do not like the direction in which the ride is going right now, that it could quickly change in a matter of seconds.

No one has it all figured out yet. We are people that are consistently changing and growing. It is to be expected that feelings will also change. That is what we call "part of life."

"I think the world has a way of choosing the worst days to knock us down and drag us out... but every door that's closed opens a new window." - This Wild Life, "No More Bad Days"

Stay strong. Don't lose hope. Keep pushing forward.