Why Hammocking Should Be An Official Word

Hammocking should be in everyones' vocabulary

25
Kira McClary

Hammocking is a new word that a lot of adults do not understand. I have had parents ask me what exactly hammocking means. I then look at them with a gleam in my eye and proceed to explain.

Hammocking means to take your hammock, set it up, and just chill in your hammock. You can do whatever you want in your hammock, as long as it’s relaxing. If it is not relaxing, there is no point.

I love hammocking. I do at least one of twice a week. If it is too cold, snowing or raining, then I find a place to do it indoors.

All you have to do is find two items that the straps can fit around and that are sturdy and set up camp. You can do it from between two trees, rafters, cars and even rocks (depending on their shape).

I was first introduced to hammocking by friends who were bored so they decided to put them up, play some music and just talk. Ever since then, I have been addicted. I have two hammocks, hammocking stickers and anytime someone asks me what I want to do, I say hammocking!

Scenic hammocking is the best. Being able to look at God’s creation from a high vantage point is probably one of the coolest things. Just be safe about how high you put your hammock.

The hardest thing about hammocking is probably putting up the straps which only takes like three minutes to learn. Being able to flip into your hammock is a topic for another time.

If you find just the right spot to hang up your hammock, sometimes you can fit multiple more people and you can have your friends stack their hammocks with yours.

There is even a Utah Hammocking Festival that takes place during the summer where people bring their hammocks and everyone just “hangs” together.

When home, I have friends that I hang out with just because we love to hammock. There is a little town near my hometown that has awesome places to hike. On one of those hikes, there is a huge old water tower that is well known by everyone. It has become a landmark, and I decided I was going to conquer it. So my friend and I got our hammocks and went for a hike. Since the water tower has lower beams that help stabilize it, they are perfect for hammock straps. So we set up our hammocks after we reached it and just relaxed. I then posted a picture of it on Instagram and tagged the location. Since posting the picture on Instagram, I have seen more posts about people bringing their hammocks and taking pictures.

Speaking of pictures, hammocking pictures are the best. They make you look super rad. Also, you can make people jealous of your awesome hammocking spot.