Freakfest And Halloween Weekend: The Madison Experience

What it was like to go to Freakfest in Madison over Halloween weekend.

61
Cassie Hall

Halloween weekend in Madison is always one for the books. From the slutty, hilarious, and creative costumes to the drunken stumbles down State Street, you’re bound to have a great time. Unless you’re a student that actually goes to Madison, then you see Freakfest as the weekend of hour-long lines for bars and more visitors than one can imagine (you don’t even go here..)

Don’t get me wrong, I love Halloween, dressing up and of course, going out and having the time of my life. But after your 4th year of experiencing Freakfest you tend to have some negative thoughts about what that weekend entails. I had my year of inviting hometown friends to Madison for Halloween weekend in the past, and although seeing them was great, I hated feeling that I was responsible for their safety. UW-Madison is a huge campus and though my friends are capable of taking care of themselves, I continuously reminded myself that they were visitors and unfamiliar with the area. I felt that I had to keep a careful eye on them the entire weekend – ultimately taking away from my drinking time which I slightly regret because let’s be real, Halloween weekend is the perfect weekend to drink more than you should. Long story short, I love that visitors are so excited to experience Freakfest, but if you can’t handle it or tend to wander off, don’t come.

Another rather negative thought that grows on you during your time in Madison is that actual Freakfest (concerts on State Street) is not fun, unless for some reason an amazing performer comes – which never happens. Why pay money to be restricted to State Street, crammed shoulder to shoulder with strangers, and forced to use port-a-potty’s? For the most part, the concerts aren’t the best, especially this year – was it country fest or what? When I think of Halloween, I think of crazy over the top music, but then again you’ll always find me at an EDM concert so maybe that’s just me. I’ve learned that most people that go to Freakfest are the townies and the freshmen that don’t know any better. Ask most upperclassmen and they’ll laugh in your face because lets face it, Freakfest is a no-go. Since fraternities aren’t allowed to host parties during this weekend (probably because the visitors can’t handle it) you’re stuck with either bars – get there hella early or you aren’t getting in – or house parties, ew.

Besides all this negativity, Halloween weekend in Madison will be the best time of your life. If you ever get the chance to visit, please do (a few visitors is chill, hundreds is not), you won’t regret it. As for my fellow classmates, we survived yet another year of Freakfest (seriously no more country music) and the Badgers took home the W in overtime – sry not sry Nebraska.