12 Halloween Movies You Might Not Have Thought Of

Tired of watching the same movies over and over again every Halloween? Let me help you mix it up a little.

56
Timeout

Everyone knows about Halloween Town and Hocus Pocus, but what if you're wanting something new? Here's a list of great movies for Halloween that you've probable never considered.

1. The Picture of Dorian Gray, 2009

This movie is based on the book by the same name written by Oscar Wilde. It features the incredibly handsome Ben Barnes (Narnia: Prince Caspian) as Dorian Gray, an innocent, rich, orphan. He befriends some questionable characters and gets himself into trouble. He makes a deal with the devil to be eternally youthful. The movie reveals the consequences of this choice. It has a great cast, fantastic story line, and a perfectly eerie feeling perfect for Halloween.

2. Sleepy Hollow, 1999

The tale of Sleepy Hollow is well known, but mostly as a children's story. This version features Johnny Depp in the leading role. It is somewhat a cross between a horror/thriller and a romance movie. It is definitely dark enough to get you in the Halloween spirit.

3. Sweeney Todd, 2007

A musical and comedy with a brilliant cast, creepy themes, and Tim Burton as the director, What could be better? The cast includes Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, and Jamie Campbell Bower. Sweeney Todd returns to his hometown from years of exile and imprisonment in search of revenge. He meets Mrs. Lovett, and the two form an unlikely and dangerous team.

4. From Hell, 2001

Yes, another Johnny Depp film; I can't help it. He has so many movies perfect for this time of year. This movie is a slasher/thriller that follows a more urban spin on "Jack the Ripper", the most notorious serial killer in history. This movie actually inspired Russel Edwards to discover the apparent identity of Jack the Ripper.

5. The Ninth Gate, 1999

Last Johnny Depp movie, I promise, but who could overlook this mystery/thriller? Depp plays Dean Corso who specializes in acquiring rare books. He ends up with a satanic book from the seventeenth century (The Ninth Gate). This book is said to have been written by Satan himself. Many strange, violent incidents keep occurring, and Corso finds himself being hunted by people trying to steal the book.

6. Black Swan, 2010

The two main actresses in this movie are Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, so you already know it should be interesting right? Portman plays a passion driven ballerina who should be the first choice as the prima-ballerina in Swan Lake, but a new dancer threatens her chance. Kunis's character personifies the black swan, while Portman personifies the white. Although, as the movie progresses Portman's character's darker side emerges.

7. Drag Me to Hell, 2009

This movie seems like it would be an obvious choice for a Halloween movie night, but most of the time it gets left out. Christine Brown (Alison Lohman) has a great life. She has a successful job at a Los Angeles bank and a handsome boyfriend (Justin Long), but after denying an older woman an extension on her home loan, her life falls apart. The lady places a curse of eternal damnation on Christine. She utilizes the help of a psychic to try and save her soul, but what will the price be?

8. Beetlejuice, 1988

Pretty much every Tim Burton movie is appropriate for Halloween, but Beetlejuice can be forgotten about. This movie follows a couple who die in a car crash and end up as spirits unable to leave their home. After a new family buys the house, the couple try to scare them away to no avail. Beetlejuice is another spirit who comes to the aid of the couple in an effort to send the family packing.

9. Ghostbusters, 1984

Now, some of you will remember this movie, but all you teenagers and college kids might think this movie is too old. You are wrong. It's a classic. A group of scientists lose their jobs, so they decide to become "ghostbusters". They use their scientific knowledge to fight evil spirits. They accidentally find another dimension and release evil spirits into the city. When the supernatural threatens you who you gonna call? Ghostbusters.

10. The Rocky Horror Picture Show, 1975

How about something different for Halloween? This movie is a musical comedy that features a creepy cast. A couple gets a flat tire during a storm, and they end up finding the mansion of Dr. Frank-N-Furter. I'll let you watch and find out the rest.

11. Crimson Peak, 2015

A young girl named Edith marries a very handsome man, and she goes to live with him in his eerie mansion. Edith begins seeing ghosts when she moves in, and the movie follows her path to the truth. This movie features a great cast of Mia Wasikowska, Tom Hiddleston, and Jessica Chastain.

12. The Craft, 1996

A high school with four power-hungry witches. What else do you need to know?