The Ultimate Halloween Movie Countdown, From 'Friday The 13th' To 'Hocus Pocus'

25 Movies That'll Make Your Halloween Countdown Spookier Than Ever

The ultimate Halloween movie countdown to October 31st.

447

Halloween is my favorite holiday. The chill of the fall air, the leaves changing colors, the spooky decorations, pumpkin flavored everything. Sign. Me. Up. One of the best things to this time of year is go all out and watch almost every vaguely scary movie I can before the big day, October 31st.

I've compiled a small list of movies that will make these next 25 days fly by. One spooky Halloween movie a day keeps the monsters away! In (almost) no particular order, here is the lineup.

25. “Halloweentown”

This Disney Channel Original Movie is a classic. I advise starting the countdown on October 6th, which is a Saturday. This means you can have an all day Halloweentown movie marathon if you want! That's my ideal Saturday in October.

24. “Ghostbusters”

The iconic theme song. The fantastic '80s effects. The cast. A remarkable movie for a lazy Sunday evening. After you watch the original, have your girl squad over to watch the new one and then decide who is being who for your 4 person Halloween outfit.

23. “Monster House”

Monster House Monday. If you're in college, you most likely have this day off. This is one of the only movies that really scared me when I was little.

22. “Teen Wolf”

No, I'm not talking about the (amazing) series that ran on MTV from 2011-2017. I'm talking about the slept on film from 1985 starring none other than Michael J. Fox. Can we make Teen Wolf Tuesday a thing?

21. “The Addams Family” 

Happy Wednesday (Addams)! This family puts the fun in dysfunctional and the theme song is a BOP.

20. “Girl Vs. Monster”

Who doesn't love a cheesy Halloween Disney movie? Olivia Holt and her pals hunt monsters and sing whilst doing so. Singing, girl power, ghosts and goblins. Yes.

19. “The Little Vampire”

My brother and I used to watch this all the time. I remember we used to swing necklaces around pretending to be the characters in this movie. It's so sentimental. Plus who wouldn't want to watch a movie with vampire cows?

18. “Beetlejuice”

Three words: Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Nuff said?

17. “IT”

IT's no secret that you'll want to have some people over for a movie night while watching this one. Get IT? IT... Sorry.

16. “Lost Boys”

I love this movie. A vampire-infested town in California with a new family in town is changed forever when one of them gets turned into a bloodsucker. Iconic '80s hair, a stellar soundtrack, and again, those amazing '80s visuals.

15. “Casper”

Is it really even Halloween until you've relived your childhood by watching "Casper" at Halloween time?

14. “The Haunted Mansion”

After watching this, you'll want to roadtrip to a spooky mansion in the middle of the woods and become BFFs with a talking head inside a crystal ball, trust me.

13. “Friday the 13th”

It's not the 13th... or a Friday, but there are only 13 days left until Halloween so that's what really matters.

12. “Halloween”

The NEW Halloween movie comes out October 19th. Brush up by watching the original and then take a group to see it on the first day it's out in theaters.

11. The “Harry Potter” movies 

If you watch all of the “Harry Potter” movies back to back, it takes a little over 19 hours. I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday, can you?

10. “Paranorman” 

THIS MOVIE IS SO UNDERRATED. WATCH IT.

9. “It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown”

Get nostalgic watching this and cry into a pumpkin spice latte.

8. “Mostly Ghostly” 

"From the light of earth the dark descends, should they return that all depends, when hands point up to moonlit skies, on 10–31 the darkness dies."

7. “Carrie”

I personally like the 1976 version more than the 2013 version, but either one is good! "Carrie" kicks off the final week in our Halloween countdown.

6. “The Mummy”

While this movie isn't directly about Halloween, it is about mummies, ancient spirits, and let's face it, who doesn't wanna see this iconic trio kick mummy butt?

5. “Scooby-Doo”

Get the gang together and marathon the 2002 "Scooby-Doo" followed by "Scooby-Doo: Monsters Unleashed" for a night of spooks and Scooby snacks.

4. “The Mask”

Jim Carrey's character in this movie is wild. Everyone wears a mask on Halloween, just hopefully not the ones he got his hands onto in this film.

3. “Edward Scissorhands”

"People are afraid of me because I'm different." BRB Crying.

2. “The Nightmare Before Christmas”

Yeah the 25 Days of Christmas countdown on ABC is fun, but how fun has this 25 Days of Halloween countdown been?

1. “Hocus Pocus”

This will always be one of my all time favorite movies. Watch this on Halloween. Stay safe, and don't get turned into a cat.