Halloween for a Poor College Girl

Halloween for a Poor College Girl

12
Halloween for a Poor College Girl

Looking back on Halloween when I was in elementary school was like a nice dream. Only having to dress up one night, going trick or treating with your friends, and having your parents buy your costume; we were really living the life. I can't believe I took it for granted for so long!

Now, things are a tad bit different. Over the years money has become scarce, and costumes more expensive. How does that work? Halloween is one of the most stressful holidays for me, right up there with Christmas. So much money, time, and effort is put into this one holiday.

I really do try to avoid thinking about this holiday for as long as I can. Back in August one of my friends had all of her costumes ready to go and ordered, and they were hanging in her closet. Me on the other hand, got itchy just thinking about what I was going to be for halloween/how I was going to afford it.

Picking a halloween costume in itself is probably the most stressful of all. You can't be something one of your friends was last year, because obviously you were in pictures with them and everyone would know (the logic I have in my head). Next, you can't be something everyone else has been because then you're not original enough. So here is where research comes in. About a week before halloween I spend countless hours on Pinterest trying to decide what I could pull off. Once I find the perfect costume though, the search isn't over because there is at least 3 nights of halloween to find a costume for.

As of now, I think I have 3 pretty good costumes that could definitely stand up to the originality concept I was going for (please feel free to steal these ideas).

1st: Cheetah-- ever since I was little cheetah's have been my favorite animal, and it's a fairly easy costume to execute. For clothing I'm going to wear a long sleeve black body suit (since those are very trendy as of now), a black leather skirt, and some black Toms wedges, and of course you can't forget the black cat ears. For this outfit I thought all black would be easiest rather then wearing all cheetah print since that gets a little dizzy. I'm also painting cheetah spots on my face and wearing very dark eye makeup, along with black lipstick, and a ponytail for hair. I may or may not end up looking goth, but I guess we'll see.

2nd: Kesha-- this costume is actually a repeat of something I did 3 years ago in high school (gasp). But I thought I could change it up a little bit from then. I have this purple and gold sparkly bralette from my dance days, and thought what better then to wear it for halloween. With that I decided a VERY high waisted ripped denim skirt and some fishnet tights. For shoes I thought white high tops would fit the bill perfectly. The best part of this costume is the makeup though, I'm putting glitter on one upper corner of my face like Kesha does, and also putting glitter on my lips. The hair is going to be perfect too, I'm going to three barrel it, and then randomly put little braids throughout to make it look very boho/Kesha-esque.

3rd: Group KISS Costume-- this costume I'm doing with a couple of my friends. We decided it would be cool to dress up as KISS since everyone has a lot of black in their closets (we reject color). For this we decided leather, black, and silver would be the best approach. I decided for this one I'm going to wear my black leather pants (they're awesome) and possibly another black bodysuit, with black combat boots. For face makeup this one's gonna be tricky too. We have to paint our faces with the designs of the actual band members, which will be awesome. We decided to knix the white face makeup since none of us want to break out from it, typical girl concern. Big, ratty hair is a must since we are going for the rock-n-roll look, and hopefully we can pull it off and people know who we are.

So those are my best attempts at halloween costumes, with having virtually no money in my bank account. Positive thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I go on this halloween endeavor.