Halloween: Empowering or slutty?

Halloween: Empowering or slutty?

Either way, don't be a downer.
30

It’s October, which means girls everywhere are online shopping for the perfect costume. Whether it is a sexy nurse, teacher or cop (and quite possibly a sexy version of “Frozen” characters) girls are combing through hundreds of costume options and beginning their diets to squeeze into tiny costumes that consist of cheap, barely-there fabric. Guys everywhere are forgetting that Halloween is coming and will pull together some kind of costume that requires minimal work, minimal money, and no dieting.       

Cady Heron was right when she said “In girl world, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.”      

But why is this? Why do girls feel the need to objectify themselves on Halloween just so they can get guys’ attention, while guys take Halloween as a day to dress up as total jokes with costumes that are actually funny and comfortable? 

On the other hand, many girls say that Halloween is a night when girls dress provocatively for themselves, because they are allowed to.      

“I think girls dress slutty because it gives them an excuse to not have to dress appropriately; it’s the norm on the holiday to dress that way and normally it’s not appropriate, but on Halloween it’s like a hall pass to dress that way,” Mia Griffin, a senior at the University of Maryland said.   

Some girls say that they work hard for their bodies, eating healthy, working out, and living an all-around healthy lifestyle. So why wouldn’t they take this opportunity, this one night of the year when they are allowed to show off what they sacrifice things for?    

One could argue that dressing risqué on Halloween is empowering, a way for women to own their sexuality, without caring about what men think of them. 

Whatever your opinion or views on the subject, let’s just remember to celebrate responsibility and if a girl looks good, compliment her, don’t slut-shame her because chances are she worked very hard to look as good as she does.