Halloween 2016: Fun Things To Do In Washington County

Fun things to do between October 27th and October 31st

32
WSAW NewsChannel 7

If you're anything like me, you might feel like this year is going way too fast. How is it even October? It was warm and in the 70s just a few weeks ago! Anyways, happy Halloween! Also happy Samhain to all the Pagans and Wiccans out there! If you don't have any fun plans for Halloween, don't worry. Check out this list for a few fall fun ideas to celebrate Halloween.

1. Corn Mazes & Pumpkin Patches

Misty Meadow Farm Creamery in Smithsburg has many fun activities from 11am to dusk. They have two different corn mazes; one that is aimed for children and a bigger more difficult one for those who want a challenge. It only costs $5 per a person. There is also a pumpkin patch with pumpkins for sale, hayrides, animals and ice cream. The ice cream is made fresh on the farm and they have a pumpkin pie flavor for the season that should be worth checking out. There is sugar free, gluten free and dairy free ice cream options as well. October 31st is your last change to go to the maze this year. Location: Misty Meadow Farm Creamery, 14325 Misty Meadow Road, Smithsburg, MD 21783

Celebration farm of Hagerstown has three different corn mazes to try out. They are open Fridays 5pm to 10pm, Saturdays noon to 10pm, and Sundays noon to 5pm. Please bring your own flashlight for the Friday and Saturday night mazes. Adults and teens are $6 per a person. Kids five to twelve years cost $3 per a person. Kids four and under are only $1 per a person to go through the maze. Pull wagons can be rented out for $5 and strollers are ok. October 30th is their last day for the season. Location: 17638 Garden View Road, Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

2. Church Hosted Halloween fun

Hagerstown Church of the Nazarene is having a trunk or treat on October 30th from 6pm to 8pm. Location: 141 N. Edgewood Drive, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Come on down to Boonsboro Bible Church October 31st from 6pm to 8pm on Halloween night for some free fall fun! There will be carnival style games, food, hayrides, a moon bounce, and decorated car trunks full of candy for trick or treating. Location: 6741 Old National Pike, Boonsboro, MD

Mt Lena United Methodist, also in Boonsboro, has trunk or treat from 6pm to 8pm on October 31st. In the church's parking lot there will be decorated cars set up for trick or treating full of yummy snacks. Location: 21234 Mt. Lena Rd, Boonsboro MD.

3. Community Trick Or Treating

The town of Boonsoro, Down Town Hagerstown, Keedysville, Williamsport, and Smithsburg has trick or treating from 6pm to 8pm on October 31st.

For some that will mean handing out candy. But with a few decorations and a costume on, even handing out candy could be fun. You could also keep track of how many times you seen a certain costume and make it into some sort of fun game for your self such as ___ many Harley Quinns equals some candy for yourself or a shot of your favorite pumpkin flavored drink. However, if you do go the alcohol route, please be safe and know your limits. Don't get too wasted since you will still have to deal with children, possibly their parents and answering the door.

If you have any children, grandchildren, or friends with children, you could tag along with them. Not only can you make sure that they are safe, but the walking is good for you (assuming you are going to not drive the kids around), you get to enjoy all the costumes and decorations and you might get a bit of candy of your own. Got to test that the candy is "safe" for them to eat after all and the best way to do so is try a few pieces for yourself.

4. Trick Or Treating At The Premium Outlets?!

Monday, October 31 from 5pm to 7 p.m at the Premium Outlets there will be trick or treating. There will be seasonal goodies that can be obtained from participating retailers. To figure out who is celebrating in on the fun, they will have a sign in the storefront window to let you know.

5. Parades

4th Annual Howl-O-Ween Dog Costume Parade takes place Saturday October 29th from 11am to 1pm. Check in for the parade begins at 10:30am. There is 10 different contest with many great prizes to be won. The categories are: Best Friends (kids age 12 & under), Best Handmade Costume, Doggie Diva, Mistaken Identity, Most Appetizing, Most Artistic, Movie Character, Owner/Pet Look Alike, Punniest Pup, and Spookiest. There is a trick contest to win even more prizes as well as a bobbing for hotdogs eating contest. Registration is $5 online and $7 at the event. Location: Dog Park at Fairgrounds Park, 351 N. Cleveland Ave. Hagerstown, MD

The Alsatia Mummer's Parade has been a tradition Hagerstown Maryland since 1921! You can be part of history and watch it this year on October 29th. It starts at 6pm. If this is your first time, here is what you should expect: floats for local clubs, stores and organizations, high school marching bands, classic cars, and costumed marchers. Its a big event in the area and always a lot of fun. Remember to bring a coat. Its normally pretty cold. Coming early is a good idea too so you can make sure you have a good seat.

6. Haunted houses

Creekside Manor, in Williamsport Maryland, has a freak show theme for this year. October 28th and 29th is your last chance to be scare by them for the season. Tickets are $15. Doors open at 7:30pm and last tickets are sold at 10pm. Location: 11759 Snug Harbor Lane, Williamsport, MD 21795

Ravenseye Manor Of Fairplay Maryland is open Fridays and Saturdays from 7pm to 11pm. There is three different attractions to check out; Cursed Hayride, Dark Corn Maze, and Carnival of Souls. Tickets are cash only and there is no ATM there so please keep that in mind before you get there. Cursed Hayride is $10, Carnival Of Souls is $10 and Dark Corn Maze is $5. If you do all three, it is only $20. This haunted house attraction is open until November 5th. So if You want to check it out, but can't go this week, you can visit next week. Location: 8778 Jordan Rd, Fairplay, MD 21733

7. Ghost Tours

City Center Ghost Tours for Hagerstown is offering hayride and walking tours of downtown's most haunted sites on October 28th at 7, 8, and 9pm. Reservations and admission for both walking tours and hay ride tours are required. Tours leave promptly from the Potomac Walk outside of Bulls and Bears Restaurant. Hayride ghost tour is $6 per a person. Walking tour is $3 for adults and $1 for kids six to twelve years old. Kids under five can go through the tour for free. Call 301-739-8577 ext. 116 to make tour reservations.

8. Watch Horror Movies

Leitersburg Cinemas in Hagerstown is having a special showing for the 1978 movie Halloween on Thursday October 27th starting at 7pm. Location: 20145 Leitersburg Pike Hagerstown, MD 21742

I hope you all have a very happy, fun and safe Halloween. As a fun Bonus, if you would like to learn more about the holiday, last year I made a video about the history of Halloween, how it came to exist and why people trick or treat for a school project. You can watch that video here if you want.