3 Habits I Learned Through COVID-19

3 Habits I Learned Through COVID-19

I learned more about myself, friends, and society through a pandemic.

13
3 Habits I Learned Through COVID-19
Melanie Oliva

It is November.

That needed its own separate paragraph because 2020 has a special little section in history. Has anyone thought of this year like a fashion trend? Something that we all either had to be a part of or just joined in on the mess? I think this year has its highs and its lows. What I have noticed it has brought has been change, confidence, and stillness.

Change.

Everyone's life changed in some way or the other this year. Whether a celebrity or a normal person in the United States or in Europe - we all experienced some level - of uncomfortable change. I have family from all parts of the U.S. and in Honduras. I have friends in Europe and some in South America. They all have shared their different changes and adaptations this year brought them. What I find compelling about change, derives from how we all know it's happening, but continue with our daily lives. Taking the global pandemic out of the picture, think about the last time something big happened in your life. Buying a car, applying for a dream job, or moving to a different state. We accept these positive changes but still incorporate them into our daily routines. I moved from a different city for the first time ever (by myself) and I have the same routine, yet the atmosphere is different. There was nothing easy about it at the beginning. Change is uncomfortable. The great thing about it comes from how everyone handles it differently. We learn from others, too. Reflect on how change has positively impacted your daily life, but add how it has taught you to be more patient with yourself.

Confidence.

I thank my mother for raising me to become overly confident. Personally, if you knew me and my friends, you would have to agree. I cannot list the multiple times that I have done something without even thinking - What if they look at me weird? - yeah, that is not in my DNA. I am confident in everything I do. From the way I dress, speak, write, and live my life. Do not think I am perfect because I have confidently made mistakes time and time again. Through the pandemic and up until now, I have had a boost of confidence. It started with how I saw myself internally. I would write in journals how much I admire my intellect, humor, and personality. It took me 21 years to thank, acknowledge, and confidently say that I love every little detail of myself. Sitting on a desk, working out, and laying in bed for hours at a time - during March - I really, really, really, got into my mind. Affirmations and therapy got me where I am now. My confidence is growing. I am blooming into something great every day.

Stillness.

The absence of movement or sound. That is the definition the Oxford dictionary gives for stillness. COVID-19 brought me stillness all around me. It created it, I adapted to it, and I mimicked it throughout the following months. Life stopped for a bit. It was not the best way to stop it - no one is fond of this virus - but I can thank it for stopping my life for a second. I will always remember my last day of classes, walking to my car, and already having a hundred things to do. Over break. I was already occupying myself, over break, when I could have been relaxing. Thank you, COVID-19 for stopping me right in my tracks. It brought me stillness in my mind, body, and soul. I think clearer. I move slower. I accept better. Things in my life have turned around positively. If I had not been more calm and aware of my surrounding circumstances, I would have not made choices correctly. The excess noise from toxic people, unhealthy habits, and draining routines were taken out of my life through this pandemic. Thankfully I am still feeling that sense of stillness - throughout my semester in college - and hoping it remains into 2021. Take a moment to breathe, reflect, and admire the moments of calmness.

Life is absolutely beautiful. If this year has taken people, things, or opportunities from you: adapt, refresh, and readjust. I hope 2021 brings you change, confidence, and stillness - in ways that will benefit you - through everything.