To The Guy Who Showed Me That I Deserve Better

I know now that I shouldn't settle for less; I deserve more.

208

I was afraid to let you in at first and I thought that was a mistake. Now I know I should have been afraid. Because in the end, you did hurt me. You made me believe that you were different. I thought I could trust you but I was wrong. In the end, I looked stupid. My friends told me I should watch out for you. I didn't listen. I thought that maybe you changed, that things would be different.

You deceived me. You broke up with me and then started dating someone the day after. There was someone else all along. You made it seem like it was my fault. Like I deserved it. And I started to believe you. I started to believe that I deserved to get hurt. That I messed up our relationship.

I changed who I was when I was with you, which you were fine with. That's the worst part. I compromised myself for a guy who didn't care for me. I acted differently around my family when you were around and I hate myself for that. It wasn't major changes but I still didn't like who I was becoming.

I now realize that I need to stop blaming myself. I didn't do anything wrong. You did. You treated me badly. You started arguments with me in front of my family. Some days were good and we were happy. Then others were not. But I know I shouldn't put myself down because of it. I know I did my best but I also know that I deserve the best.

I shouldn't let anyone put me down in a relationship. I shouldn't feel like everything is my fault. I deserve better. I deserve more. There's no point of hating you. Because in the end, I learned a valuable lesson. I shouldn't let a relationship or a break up keep me down. No one should. I shouldn't let a guy change who I am inside. If you can't love me for me, then I don't want you. I know what to look for now. I don't want this to happen to me again.

With the lessons, I learned and the pain I endured, I only have a few things to say to you. Thank you. Thank you for showing me who you really were. Thank you for ending it when you did because I wouldn't have had the guts to. That's all I have to say to you.

Most importantly, thank you to me for being strong.