America's Biggest Flaw Is Its Biggest Obesssion

If you're not a part of the solution, then you're a part of the problem.

85
Photo by Jens Lelie on Unsplash

Every time there's a gun massacre in the US, the same series of events unfold that can be summed up with DABDA, the five stages of grief:

1. We are in denial.

2. We're angry.

3. We bargain with each other and ourselves.

4. We are depressed.

5. We accept what happened.

The problem is the last step. We accept what happened without doing much about it. By changing nothing, though, there isn't anything new that will prevent the same thing from happening again.

If you're not doing anything to be a part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. The first step of being a part of the solution is to educate yourself and others on gun statistics. Numbers don't lie and the evidence is quite telling of the necessity for gun control.

Here are the top ten reasons why American guns laws need to be changed (explained with numbers):

1. The unnecessary deaths.

There were 464,033 total deaths from guns between 1999 and 2013 in America. To see current counts of gun incidents in 2017, click here.

2. Guns DON'T defend well.

99.2% of 6 million nonfatal violent crimes from 2007-2011 did not defend themselves with a gun, invaders are 2 times as likely to get the gun than the victim using the gun for defense, and none of 62 mass shootings between 1982 and 2012 were stopped by an armed civilian.

3. Look at states for examples.

States with more guns have more gun deaths. Developed countries follow the same correlation. States that adopted right-to-carry laws saw a 4%-19% increase in violent crimes over 10 years.

4. Despite initial legal transaction, guns can circulate around for crime.

Criminals stole 1.4 million guns from US homes between 2005 and 2010, and handguns can easily be manipulated for crime, murder, and suicide.

5. Guns worsen domestic abuse.

5 women are murdered with guns daily in the US. A woman is 500% more likely to die in a domestic dispute if a gun is present.

6. Huge societal costs.

In 2010, each person suffered $564 in lost tax revenue due to gun violence.

7. Police violence worsens because of guns.

Police killed 1,112 people using guns between 2014 and 2017 and police are more likely to die in homicides in states that have more guns.

8. Gun deaths from suicide.

Greater access to guns increases the risk of suicide. In Indiana, 96.5% of suicide attempts by firearm were fatal. In comparison, 5.1% of cutting and 7.4% of poison suicide attempts were fatal.

9. The Second Amendment intended to protect the right of militias to own guns. Not individuals.

The Second Amendment didn't mention an individual’s right to bear arms anywhere in the notes. Rather, it intended to allow the militia to own guns. Nonetheless, guns have changed since then and our gun laws should too.

10. It's too easy to get and use high power guns and accessories.

At least half of 62 mass shootings between 1982 and 2012 used high capacity magazines. Assault weapons and large magazines are legal in many states.

If guns reduced crime, the US would have the lowest homicide rate of industrialized nations. Instead, we have the highest homicide rate.

How America Compares

• Germany. Anyone under 25 has to pass a psychiatric evaluation.
  • Finland. Must be a member of a shooting club, pass an aptitude test, police interview, and have a proper gun storage unit.
  • Italy. Must have a genuine reason to own a firearm and pack a background check.
  • France. Must have no criminal record and pass a background check.
  • The United Kingdom and Japan. Illegal for private citizens.
  • China. Strict policies, and private citizens not allowed to own guns.
  • South Korea. Strict gun policies; police don’t carry guns.
  • Australia. Implemented gun control laws banning an array of weapons, reduced the current gun possession, and made it a crime to use guns in self-defense in 1996. Suicides and homicides fell and they haven’t had a mass shooting since 1996. Their murder rates are 1/4 that of the US.

The High Support for Gun Control

According to a Pew Research survey in 2013, 83% of adults support background checks. Over 80% approve of laws to prevent the mentally ill and people on the no-fly list from purchasing a gun.

So Why Hasn’t Anything Changed?

Despite this large support, it is unlikely that gun laws will change much anytime soon. Currently, Republicans control both chambers of Congress and the presidency. Efforts to increase gun laws didn’t work when Obama was in office and is unlikely to change now.

A majority of Americans say they support background checks and other gun regulations. But, a smaller percentage think they would actually be effective in reducing gun violence. 42% of Republicans think it would reduce gun violence. 53% of Republicans say nothing would improve at all.

In fact, a majority of Americans, 54%, believe more people should carry guns for self-defense. But judging from data and history, it is evident that fewer guns mean fewer deaths. Countries that have gun control laws are much safer.

Do Something About It

We're doing something wrong with our gun control laws. This is evident in comparison to the other countries. Not changing anything would mean history repeating itself over and over. Mass shootings happening daily. Dozens of individuals dying from gunshot daily.

You can help with this issue. Here are a couple of steps you can take to become a part of the solution:

1. Find out who represents you in government. Write them a letter supporting greater controls on laws, Facebook them, tweet them, email them, call them. Get your voice heard.

2. Donate to a gun reform group.

3. Join a local gun reform group.

For more details and an extensive list of steps that you can take, click here.