A Guide To Life: The Beginning

A Guide To Life: The Beginning

All journeys begin somewhere, maybe yours begins here with a lesson in prudence

78
A Guide To Life: The Beginning
Twitter @Havenlust

So one of my favorite things to do as a writer is to write articles/lists that are part of a series.

If you go back and look at my Odyssey page, there are plenty of series such as the draft series, the G.O.A.T. series, the comic top 10's, and the pro-Greek life series make up the majority of my work.

Now, however, I want to get into a new series that might now be the most well-received, but that's never bothered me before, so why worry now.

The reason why it might not get the warmest of receptions is because it is something that is more theologically based.

Basically, the concept of this comes from Catholicism, but the application expands beyond any one religion. From Abenaki mythology to Zurvanism, this series is going to touch on topics that can apply to all.

So now that I have given this an extended buffer, those of you that are still reading are probably wondering "what in the world are you actually writing about," and fair enough.

This series is going to be about virtue.

More specifically the Virtues.

So for starters, virtue is defined as a habitual and firm disposition to do the good.

The Virtues are broken down into three subsets:

1. 4 Cardinal

2. 3 Theological

3. 7 Capital/Heavenly

So, if you did the math, then you know this is about to be a long fourteen part series, but one worth doing.

The beauty of this, however, is that they form a guide to a better life. All of this combined, or as individual parts can lead to having a better life.

Now that the initial explanation is done, let's get into the beginning of this guide.

The subsets I listed earlier are also the order of which I will be laying out this guide, which means the four Cardinal Virtues are up first.

Of the Cardinal Virtues, the first one is the Virtue of Prudence, which is also known as "the charioteer of the virtues" because it guides the others.

So what is Prudence?

Prudence is the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason. More simply put, prudence is knowing and doing what is good.

So how does Prudence help you live a better life?

Prudence helps us avoid mistakes and make good choices. The ability to do that alone can make your life better. Most people have a "bad life" start by making bad decisions.

It's important to understand that having Prudence does not mean that you make no decisions or being overly-disciplined. You have to have Prudence in one's actions to live a better life, but the second most important part of that statement is actions.

So how do I gain Prudence?

Well take apart the second definition I gave "knowing and doing what is good." To gain Prudence you have to learn what is good, then you have to do what is good by putting into action what you learned.