A Beginner's Guide To Self-Remedy, Take Some Time For Yourself

Take care, friends.

216
Kaitlin Berg

On a cramped up spring semester schedule filled to the absolute brim with classes, coursework, community or public service work, internships or jobs, extracurriculars, and more, it can seem completely impossible to accomplish everything you want to or have time to take just for yourself or building and strengthening friendships. How can you even quantify the amount of pressure pent up in your shoulders or fathom how you are going to deliberately keep each section of your work/thought within its own compartment in your brain?

Slow down, sip some tea, and provide yourself a moment to grab hold of a more meditative headspace.

You are not the only one who is feeling this way nor does fretting about your anxieties do you any good. The reality stands regardless of how much you worry that there is much to be done about controlling your stress levels and holding yourself down.

Last week, I explained the immense importance of self-love, recognizing your worth and taking proper steps to actively reassure yourself how capable and incredible you are. This week, I want to touch on how to better keep your mind in check with tons of optimal little daily acts that will help your feet remain firmly planted on the ground and aid your mind in lending you a little more zen.

Food and water are a fantastic start. And no, I am not condoning stress-eating here, but what I am suggesting is that you pay attention to your basic human needs. Drinking water and eating things that are good for you (yes, in controlled portions dark chocolate counts, or if you are my mom, red wine is fine) will not only provide you with the actual energy your body requires to make it through the day, but while you are actively eating is a good time to resort to a “brain break”.

This can be daydreaming, watching an episode of your favorite Netflix show, listening to music, or whatever else you need it to be. Exercise, at least 30 minutes a minimum of five times per week and the proper amount of sleep ~8 hours depending on your body for the majority of adolescents and adults (fun fact: you need about six hours of sleep bare minimum for your brain to be fully functioning) will also encourage relaxation and harmony within the body and mind.

Bear in mind that physical activity can be invigorating and exciting as well, perhaps you enjoy running, pilates, yoga, swimming, or a specific sport.

Hands-on activities can also suffice as an extremely valuable way to practice self-care! You can paint, draw, color, or write, and there isn’t even a prerequisite for skill level for engaging in these art therapies. A prayer box or meditation can also be helpful. Essential oil diffusers and soothing music can also be therapeutic if you are capable of producing music on your own accord, even better.

Truthfully, there are no wrong ways to self-remedy. Perhaps one of the best solutions I’ve found is taking a twenty-minute break a couple of times daily to just be with myself doing any of these things and engaging in at least one fulfilling, meaningful conversation with someone of value to me.

Believe me, words can help! And if you don’t know whom to speak with, counselors and therapists are readily available to college students who need them --which one you would visit would depend upon where your stressors are stemming from.

As you have noticed by now, there are hundreds of thousands of ways to practice self-care/therapy, including even just listening to your friends when they are experiencing a rough day, this is because going out of your way to help others or simply engaging in a few random acts of kindness should lighten up your own mood, it feels good to make other people feel good, it should be obvious because it’s simple psychology. Take care friends!