Growing Up With Strict Parents

Growing Up With Strict Parents

from someone who knows

124
Growing Up With Strict Parents
Empower Network

Having strict parents used to seem like a curse. I used to despise having to do chores every day, and getting grounded for not doing them when I got home from school. I hated having a bed time when I was younger. Curfews were even worse once I got into high school. I didn’t like that I had to help clean every weekend and clean up after dinner every night. I used to compare the rules I had to follow to the rules enforced by my peer’s parents. I would get so worked up about not being able to do what my friends got to do. I never understood why my parents didn’t trust me enough to hang out with my friends where and whenever I wanted.

Being in college has really opened my eyes. My vision has been cleared. I can finally see the bigger picture. My parents were strict because they wanted me to be a better person, not because they didn’t trust me. For that, I am extremely grateful. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t like the person that I have become.

I find that, because I had such strict rules, I was held to a higher standard. College is basically a sea of various personalities. Not one person is alike. Everyone comes from a different background. Everyone was raised differently. But despite the vast array of behaviors, it’s not hard to pin point those individuals that weren’t raised with rules.

I never thought twice about having manners. My parents made sure that my brother and I respected those around us. Saying please and thank you were always things that never seemed like anything extra. They were just as necessary as breathing. So when I got to college, you can imagine my surprise when the people around me failed to have that kind of respect. In life, the little things mean the most. Those are the things that not only make you a better person, but bring happiness to the world. Holding doors, pushing in chairs, and saying things like “excuse me” are all actions I now appreciate on a different level.

I never noticed how important sanitization was growing up either. Don’t get me wrong, I always prioritized good hygiene. But, once again, I didn’t realize there was an alternative option. Growing up, I always thought my mother was a clean freak. We cleaned every single weekend, and the house had to remain pretty spotless throughout the week as well. We were always expected to clean up after ourselves, otherwise punishment would be followed. Even when we were sick, we were expected to be careful what we touched and to keep our germs to ourselves. Now I realize how vital cleanliness really is. Having a clean space not only looks nice, but it helps prevent illnesses. This is especially important in college, because you can’t afford to miss any school, both literally and figuratively. Since being at college, I’ve witnessed a number of people blow their nose and place their dirty tissue on a table or cough into their hand before touching a doorknob. It’s just disgusting. So thank you mom, for making sure I didn’t turn out to be one of those people.

Chores were always my least favorite thing about growing up with strict parents. I didn’t understand why my brother and I had to do all the dirty work. My least favorite chore was helping my parents prepare dinner. I despised it so much that I pretended to be the worst cook alive. I purposely burnt countless meals, even mac & cheese, in attempt to convince my parents that I wasn’t meant to be a cook. Finally, they reluctantly caved and I only had to help with the prep work. Then I came to college and realized that half of the people here don’t even know how to make bacon and eggs! If I could go back, I wouldn’t have pulled a fast one on my parents. Without this chore, I wouldn’t know how to nourish my body the right way. Thankfully, I know how to make more than just bacon and eggs.

Bills are the worst part of adulthood. But when you’re a kid, you don’t think anything of it. I can’t even begin to count the number of times I got yelled at for leaving a light on. I never thought it was fair that I got grounded for weeks at a time just because I left one single light on. What was the big deal anyhow? The big deal is that money diminishes far faster than it appears. Now, leaving a light on when you’re not in the room is one of my biggest pet peeves. Especially when you’re a guest at someone else’s house. It’s not fair that they have to pay (literally) for your carelessness. So thanks dad, for making me turn those darn lights off.

They say that strict parents yield sneaky kids. I think that this saying only applies in severe cases. I think that more often than not, strict parents yield responsible and respectable kids. If it weren’t for the rules and high standards I was held to, the level of maturity I have now would be much lower. So thank you parents, for teaching me how to be a better human.