12 Reasons Why You Should Be Thankful For Your Parents

What can I say? You can't live with or without them.

15523
Genna Frodyma

As you graduate from high school or college, sign up for orientation, or pack your bags for a new adventure, you begin to reflect on those parental role models in your life. Sometimes they embarrass you and sometimes they come in clutch: parents just know best. Whether you have two moms, two dads, a mom AND a dad or a single parent, you can relate to those moments where you realize... you just can't get through the day without them. Honestly, we don't even realize how much we rely on our parents every day. Here are the 12 reasons why everyone should be thankful for their parents, because I know I am:

1. Learning what's "right" and what's "wrong" would be a lot harder on our own.

Let's be honest, it's hard to know what is the "right" and "wrong" thing to do. Growing up, your parents always told you the rationale of why something you said or did was "right" or "wrong". Trying to figure out what is the "right" thing to do would be a trial and error of embarrassment and ridicule without the moral code of your parents. Thank your parents for the morals you hold dearest to your heart.

2. They are always supportive of your undecided decisions.

I change my decisions in life like I change my fashion sense... almost every day. I have changed my major twice and have maybe six different paths I have planned to do after college. Heck, I don't even know what to eat for dinner half the time. But no matter what quick change or random fad I'm into, my parents have my back 110 percent of the time. It's like your parents are a bra... always supportive.

3. They are honest... even when you don't want them to be.

In your twenties, you need a boat load of honesty. Otherwise you begin to believe something and your ego becomes 10 times bigger than it should be. I appreciate my parents always telling me that I need to get my *ish* together and focus on myself. Sometimes, they can be a little too honest about how I should not wear the low cut shirt or eat McDonald's everyday. All in all having parents who tell it like it is is something to be thankful about.

4. They always make you feel loved, whether it is said or not.

They love you more than you can ever think. They may be obnoxious about it but that's because it's hard to express how much they love you. My mom always says "when you are a parent, you will understand." Everyday they worry about you and want to make you the best version of yourself. That's love folks and I'm thankful I'm loved.

5. They taught you HOW to love.

Who better to exemplify how to love someone and your children than the ones who raised you. They told you not to settle for the bad boy in ninth grade who had the lip piercing or go from guy to guy. They taught you that you deserve the best because you ARE the best and there is no excuse for settling for anything less. They are the prime example of loving your best friend and finding compromise within a relationship. Although things can get rocky, they taught you how to hold your own while loving another human being. I know I am thankful for that lesson because other wise I'd still be with a bum of a guy.

6. Without them, would you even know how to eat right? Or exercise?

Thank God for my mom who inspires me everyday to better my body and mind. Now, I may not agree with her in the fact that fries aren't a vegetable, but she taught me that I don't need to shame my body for being big but to work toward a goal of health. My dad will always love me and supports my drive to be a little healthier. Without them, I would have a diet of mac and cheese and quesadillas... and would probably be 10,000 lbs.

7. They taught you how to coupon and cook.

Off-brand IS just as good as the actual brand. And Costco means free samples... duh. Thanks to my parents I learned to survive living off a $40/ week food budget. Without this lesson, I'd be bankrupt! But no matter how broke you are, they will always help you... even if that means driving two hours to buy you groceries. Thank your parents for giving you a lesson on fiances and budgeting!

8. Sometimes you need a break from the screen in order to experience the world.

No phones at the dinner table meant for real conversations and family time. That is much more valuable than how many likes on Instagram you have. I used to complain about not being able to text back my friends and access the new "Kim K" game when my parents had "no technology time". Now that I'm older, I am thankful that my parents taught me to experience life through adventure and not through a screen.

9. Those dance moves you have are genetic.

Yes, your dad can hit the Quan and your mom can Nay-Nay. Plus most dance moves today came from the 1980's... which your parents surely are familiar with. So thank your parents for your ability to rock the dance floor.

10. Thank your "cool" card on your parents.

Even if they choose to embarrass you, they are always the cool parents. They taught you that you can be silly and to go with the flow sometimes. My parents are my best friends because we all have the same personality and of course we're cool *hair flip*. Your parents are the people your friends want to hang out with and you should be thankful that you get to inherit their coolness.

11. Education is important... and your parents will always push you to be the best.

As an education major, I understand the importance and value of an education. My passion for learning new things and sharing that with others drives me to be a better version of myself. Most careers now require at least an associates degree to actually make a living and my parents made sure I would be able to make it in this world. My parents went back to school when I was a kid to better our lives and help others. As you move into a new phase in your life, be thankful that your parents are there to push you further.

12. Finally, be thankful for your parents because they helped form you into the semi-responsible adult you are now!

So go get 'em tiger and thank your parents for being the best role models you can ask for!