Growing Up With A First Grade Teacher As A Mom

My mother has taught me way more than just my ABC's and 1+1.

22

My kitchen counter is often filled with picture flashcards, children’s story books, and basic addition and subtractions charts. Yes, I learned my alphabet early and my games and toys were always educational. Of course, my mother still talks to me like I am a six year old… but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. My mother is a first grade teacher and while it can frustrating at times, she has taught me more than just 1+1 and how to tie my shoelaces. She has taught me the importance of staying “forever young”.

As a child I thought my mom was a superstar. I had the coolest pencils and erasers in my class, she got me books for free, and she taught me way more beyond my elementary school classroom. She related to me so well because she was used to being around six and seven year olds all day every day. She knew which computer games I would want to play and which movies I would like and she never got impatient with me no matter how many times I asked her silly questions like “Why is the sky blue” or “Why can’t they make Play-Doh edible?”

Then came my elementary school graduation and the start of my middle school career. I began to despise how she talked to me like I was six. I hated the way she still bought me flashcards and flip charts for math when I wanted clothes and makeup. I despised how she still thought I should be playing with my Barbie dolls rather than begging for a cell phone and crushing on boys.

Now that I am in college, I realize how much I want those days back. I would give anything to be a kid again. My first grade mother has taught me that your “inner child” is sometimes the best version of yourself. Sometimes you have to have those days when you watch Spongebob episodes and eat Fun Dip until you feel sick. Living the forever young lifestyle means taking time off work sometimes to just feel like a kid again. The adults who neglect their childhood tendencies are missing out on becoming more successful individuals.

Finding my “inner child” often means remembering a time when my curiosity and creativity led my every move. At six years old this meant painting pictures and playing make believe. Now, the same curiosity and creativity I used then has developed and now allows me to write and produce and film. I could never forget or deny these attributes even if they seem childish to those adults who sit in an office all day and crunch numbers. As a child, fights with friends and holding grudges did not exist. If my friend got snack before me or tripped me on the playground, I could forgive him or her within five minutes. This is the mentality that teenagers and adults should have as well. If we could forgive that easily at 6 years old, why can’t we do it now? Maybe, we too could be as happy as our childhood selves if we didn’t walk away from our friendships and hold hatred towards certain people for long periods of time.

My first grade mother is still my superstar but not for the same reasons as before. She is my role model because she has taught me how to preserve the essence of childhood and how to apply what she teaches to her first graders on a daily basis, to my life as a college student. She has taught me to be spontaneous, to play a little, and to dream big. When I was six years old I wasn’t afraid to tell people I wanted to be a Princess or a Popstar. I didn’t care if my clothes were mismatched or if I spilt chocolate milk on them during Lunch time. I didn’t cry if someone wouldn’t play with me on the playground, I would just ask a random kid to come to the swings with me.

I know not everyone is as fortunate as I am to have a person who constantly treats me like a child. But here is what I challenge you all to do: Go tell people your dreams no matter how ambitious they are. Don’t spend your precious time picking out the absolute perfect clothes; no one really cares that much and don’t cry if they get ruined at a party. If your friends don’t invite you out or ignore you, don’t be afraid to ask a new person on campus to grab lunch. Listen to your inner child always, they actually can be smarter than you sometimes.